New coop floor suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OurLittlebitRanch, Mar 5, 2012.

1. OurLittlebitRanch

OurLittlebitRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    Pueblo, Colorado
    PLEASE HELP

We are wanting to build a new coop about 12' X 12'. Might be wood might be metal. It's primary use will be to raise day old chicks up to about 8 weeks of age. We are currently using stock tanks in the basement. Plan is to finish basement so chick rearing needs a new building. We will figure out the basic design and materials but none of us can agree on martial for a floor. Concrete seems too cold but easy to clean. Wood of some kind seems much more comfortable but not as easily cleaned. Just setting it on the dirt seems like it may be more natural for the chicks but how about cleaning it? Obviously we will be using other materials for bedding on top of whatever flooring we use..

2. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Concrete + linoleum? I don't think wood would be a good idea...too many diseases/insects/whatever might get stuck in the cracks. Just an idea!

3. prescott2k

prescott2k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Dixon, CA
    I'd have to go with the concrete. Not only do you have the option of putting down some bedding on the floor, you also have the added advantage of the chickens wanting to roost. Both of these should help alleviate any discomfort from the concrete getting too cold (since the birds wont have to stand directly on the concrete). That and the concrete is really easy to clean up. Hope this helped!

4. Chick-N-Pie

Chick-N-Pie New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    Our coop is going to have horse stall mats for its flooring. Easy to clean and will last forever. So the mats will be ontop of wood. We will use shavings for bedding.

5. OurLittlebitRanch

OurLittlebitRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    Pueblo, Colorado
    My daughter suggested mats - I had never given that any thought before.
    Thanks everyone for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by