New Coop Floorplan

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wkm2a, Jan 27, 2014.

1. wkm2a

wkm2a New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    I was wondering if I could get any feedback on the coop I was designing to build. I just put together a floor plan so far. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. This is going to house about 12 chickens initially.

http://www.barmeister.com/coop/coop_floorplan.jpg

Thanks.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think it looks quite nice. I wouldn't plan to have many more than 12 full size hens there, unless you open the brooding and isolation areas up. Generally plan on 4 square feet per bird, and without those areas you're at 48 feet. You may also want to add another roost (or 2), if each roost is only 4 foot long. I plan for 2 linear feet per bird--that's a little generous, but if you're not pressed for space, why not?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice little floor plan, I'm a drafter by trade so appreciate a good plan.
    Might put your cleanout door under the roosts as that's where most the waste will be...tho not sure if you're planning roost boards.

4. wkm2a

wkm2a New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Good point....I had put the clean out there cause I won't have access to that other side but I can just swap the pop door and the roost position and then it should work out...might have to reposition some windows....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by