New coop from shipping crate

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jaloola, Dec 20, 2010.

1. jaloola

jaloola Happy Joyous & Free

Oct 21, 2010
    Oakland
    I think it took less than a month for me to replace the tractor with a larger coop. The tractor was a good place to start but it was just too small. And heavy!
    When this shipping crate came along I saw a great opportunity.
    I'm using the deep litter method and it sure is nice. Way better than the dirt floor of the previous set up. The girls really get in there and stir it up.
    The covered run is pretty great too. Husband helped me button up the project moments before the storm arrived.
    I still see lots of room for improvement and I don't think the coop tinkering will ever stop...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jo (Mottled Java) and Lucky (Blue Andalusion). The girls are clearly very happy (Lucky just looks mad). And now there's a door at the end I can open for them to free range.
    [​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
  3. jaloola

Oct 21, 2010
    Oakland
    That's great! Love the chicken town. My husband is so happy we don't have the space for that...but he likes what you've done.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  4. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I think that is a great idea. Where do you get shipping crates from?

Candace

5. jaloola

Oct 21, 2010
    Oakland
    I work for a coffee company and every so often we get some equipment or signage in a crate. I've already got my eye open for a larger one...

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh waaah! I want a shipping crate, too!!!!

7. jaloola

Oct 21, 2010
    Oakland
    I would think in West Sac there's plenty of opportunity to find a shipping crate. You might want to go for a drive and snoop around...

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    That is a very nice little coop! I have one similar to it. I think that it's great, and could be used as a good broody coop once your addiction grows. Which it will!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by