New Coop have few questions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MckinneyTXBYC, Mar 26, 2012.

1. MckinneyTXBYC

MckinneyTXBYC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    We were given this coop for free from someone who use to have a few chickens.
    I know we need to put plywood or something on the bottom and the front door of this coop to keep predators out and for winter.
    Would it be best if i cut out 2 small windows on the front piece of plywood i wanna lay over the front door?
    It gets very hot here in Texas and already close to 85 today in March in north Texas.
    Our baby chicks are going on 4 weeks old and we will put them outside in a few weeks.

Also we need to build a run and thinking about using Hardware Cloth i saw at Tractor Supply.
    What is the best way to build a run to connect to this coop and we want to be able to move the run around a few times a week.
    We live in a urban area and not really sure what kind of predators we have, but did see online Mckinney has
    raccoons and foxes and not sure what else.

I personal never have seen any in our neighborhood but i guess it doesn't mean they are not around. We have 8 baby chicks right now but plan on only keeping 2 when it is all said and done.
    We have 4 sex link red star and 4 speckled sussex as well. Hope someone can give us good advice.
    Also forgot to mention will this latch work as well we have on it to keep things out.
    Thanks
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Alesia

Alesia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    i can tell u that the hook and eye latch wont work to keep out raccoons they can open nearly anything u might want to think about a lock

3. Yes, I'd put a hasp and lock on there, that'll keep the bullies out.

4. MckinneyTXBYC

Mar 21, 2012
    Thanks for the good advice, i see tractor supply sale hasp and locks for a pretty good price.
    Also thought of another good question on keeping the hens cool in the summer.
    I read you can grow a type of vine on your run to keep them cool, here is a list i came up with.
    bougainvillea, cape honey suckle, passion vine or snail shell vine to just name a few i heard that are safe if they eat on them.
    Thanks

5. bougainvillea have nasty thorns that really hurt when your cutting them back... they really irritate most people skin. Pretty, but thorny....

6. MckinneyTXBYC

Mar 21, 2012
    Thanks for the good advice won't be getting bougainvillea at all, what do you think maybe wal-mart or home depot or etc might sale that could work?
    Would draping some kind of tarp over the run work as well? or vines might be best because they can eat on them as well.
    Just worried about the heat coming to Texas again, it was so bad last year.
    Also would i need a type of ventilation in the coop if i put 2 windows in the front or not?
    Will the Hardware Cloth work best in the windows? to keep out predators as well for the run i will build this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  7. Yes that coop will definitely need some side vents. It's gonna be way too hot for your ladies in there. Hardware cloth properly installed should do the trick.

8. MckinneyTXBYC

Mar 21, 2012
    Back to the front door of this coop, for the summer i have decided i wanna put half of it with solid wood and leave the top half open since Texas is so warm.
    If i do this will i still need the vents of the side for right now? also would i need to use 2x4 welded wire or 1/2 hardware cloth on top of what i already have?
    Just wanna keep all predators out at night and make it very safe.
    I plan on using 2x4 welded wire and 1/2 hardware cloth for the run and slide it against the coop in the day and leave it like that all the time.
    Wanna make sure i am going in the correct direction and any input would be much appreciated, Thanks

9. Just remember that 2x4 welded wire, if you use that, raccoons and other animals can reach in and grab your girls... If you have predators, I'd highly recommend 1/2" hardware cloth. On top of your run where coons and such cant reach the girls, it's probably OK to use welded wire. Even there it allows rats and critters to get in and steal food and maybe spread disease.

10. MckinneyTXBYC

Mar 21, 2012
    Maybe i could over lay the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2" hardware cloth on top of the 2x4 welded wire? well on the top and bottom half of the run and our coop door.[/FONT]
    Would this work better? Do many combine the 2 like this.
    The problem i am having we live in a very urban area with tons of houses and just not sure if we even have raccoons or etc.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Besides that i guess the vents can wait if i can manage to get the front door 100% safe with over laying as with the run[/FONT]
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by