New Coop...Here I go again....Todays Progress

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fireguy56, Oct 7, 2011.

1. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi all, So for those of you following this craziness we call Our coop 2, here is what I got done today in 4 hours. Got a late start after picking up chicks at 3 different feed stores, then a load of lumber. Didn't get rolling until after 12:30, so in 4 hrs this is what I acomplished all by my lonesome. First shot of floor framing and the lumber I just unloaded. Next pic is after eating up some of the lumber. Kinda hard to tell with all the braces in the way, but narrow end is front. People door with long fixed windows on each side(side lights). Long side was the most complicated to frame. Will have vents just below the top plate, below that 2- 12" x 48" fixed windows, then further down, 2 sets of nest boxes and finally at the floor level, in the center of the wall ther will be a small door for clean out of the shavings. Will see better tomorrow whan I get the rest of the framing done and cover studs with osb. More pics to follow.
    Erik

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions.....now is the time to throw 'em at me. Trying to do it right from the start.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You got alot done in one day!! [​IMG]

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

nice! you did ALL that in just 4 hours? WOW! way to go !

4. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Yep, My wife says even at 56 I'm like the energizer bunny. Wait 'till ya see tomorrow progress when I can get started at first light.
    Erik

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    looking good. whats the long peices of wood on the sides for? the ones at a angle? support?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Annie, Yes they are diagonal braces to keep the wall plumb(90 degrees) to the floor while finishing framing. Once everything is braced off, will start sheathing the outside with osb. Then remove the braces and start framing the roof. Keeps everything square and true. Thanks for looking. More to come tomorrow.
    erik

7. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    Lookin' good! You got a lot done in 4 hours.

8. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    When you are done, you can come over & help me put together a small coop made out of pallets for my silkies. [​IMG]

Your coop is coming along GREAT! Can't wait to see the next set of pictures. [​IMG]

9. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Erik, if you put the osb on your last wall while it is on the ground, then tilt and secure, it goes a bit faster. It's already square and sturdy, makes the rest of the osb a bit easier. At least I think so.

Either way, it Looks like your swinging for the grand slam on that one looks great!!!

10. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks good ~ maybe add hardware cloth onto your subfloor now (so rodents don't chew up through).
    Have fun building! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by