New coop How big

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SeanBlack, Aug 21, 2013.

1. SeanBlack

SeanBlack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    Hello [​IMG]
    I recently bought 2 Rhode island hens I have a coop that can fit four but by this time next year i'm hoping that i'll have a dozen hens so I'm just interested in how big my Coop should be my run is 20 ft by 20 ft is the run big enough to hold a dozen ?
    -Thanks Sean [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I would say the run is big enough. Sounds like you will be busy building a new coop.

3. SeanBlack

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    Yup but hopefully it'll be worth it

4. SeanBlack

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    Anyone ? [​IMG]

5. Buffrington

Buffrington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    I beleive the coop should be big enough for the hens to sleep in comfortably. To give an Idea...I am building a coop and I am planning on housing 10 hens and one roo "buff Orpingtons aff course.

[​IMG]

This is roughly 2 x 2 meters by 1.8 high. If I am correct I will be able to put in 18 nests.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Using the standard advice of 4sq ft per hen, for a dozen birds you'd want 48 sq ft of floorspace; 6 feet x 8 feet. Sounds like you're going to have an awesome flock!

Just my two cents, if I had that much run space for that number of birds, I'd subdivide it into a few smaller runs and rotate them... Just a thought. I wish I had that kind of space!

7. SeanBlack

Jul 19, 2012
    Galway,Ireland
    Haha yeah its big and my two Rhode Islands love it. Hopefully they'll get on well with my new hens when i get them [​IMG]

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Do you mean to separate the older hens from the chicks in the future?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by