New Coop Idea

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmer_lew, Jan 23, 2011.

1. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    HHandbasket and I have decided to turn an old cabover camper we have into a new coop for the girls. I was going to make a "mobile hatchery" out of it, but this seems more realistic. I am going to gut it out, replace any structural members that need to be replaced, and add nesting boxes and roosts. Since it is insulated they will be nice and comfy, plus it has a roof vent and windows for ventilation. Once I get the construction done, I will be better able to determine if the vent and windows will be adequate or if I need to add more. I will be sure to take pics throughout the entire process for all to enjoy. I have another project to complete before I can tackle this one, so it may be a week or two before I can get started. Stay tuned!

2. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    sounds very nice, good luck [​IMG]

How many chickens will you put it in there ?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Sounds like a plan!! [​IMG]

4. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    Quote:We have 7 hens. Not sure what the sqft of the camper is (there is room for a queen sized bed where the roosts will be), but I do know it will be more after I gut it out.

5. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    pictures?

6. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Coooool! Great idea. Yes on pictures. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by