New coop ideas PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fussy8, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    We will be moving very very soon and i want the perfect coop to start fresh on our new property!!!! I need ideas, thoughts and what ever else you want to give advice on!! I have 8 chickens and live in utah! I would love to hear about your past experience's with building coops! thank you!! <3 [​IMG]

2. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    Run power to it!

Make the people door high enough that you don't keep hitting your head.

3. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    that is some great advice! AHAHAHAHa thank you! any more!?

4. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:build it bigger then you think you will ever need

5. LadiesMan017

LadiesMan017 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Quote:build it bigger then you think you will ever need

Definately, AHAHA

6. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
  7. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    the best thing i did in my new coop was to make the roosting bars and a frame that is hinged to the wall.

so when i need to change the litter i can just raise up the roosting bars and shovel out the old litter.

I also used a self storing storm window in a stock size to provide some daytime light and some adjustable ventilation.

my mistake: should have made it bigger, but this thread has covered that already.

good luck,
    Jerry

8. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Run water to it beats carrying it.

9. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Build it big, and make it so you can easily divide it in case you have a broody or want to introduce new pullets, or have an injured hen, etc.

At one point, I had mine divided into 3 areas, but it was a crazy system of chicken wire and screen that kept falling down. This summer, I want to put up 2x4's to hold a permanent chicken wire divider, with decent human size doors (I was crawling over, under, and had to be a contortionist with the other set up. When it is just the one flock, I'll be able to leave the doors open to maximize space. When I have new pullets or a broody raising chicks, the doors can be closed.

You may not ever plan on having a broody hatch eggs, or introducing new pullets, but I didn't plan on it either. Plans change.

Also, if you live where there is snow, build a secure run with a roof to get them outside in the winter.
    Have fun!

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by