New coop ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amarisus, May 15, 2011.

1. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Me and the wife are going to be building a new coop very soon. Our first coop is only three months old but the rate at which we are collecting these birds warrants a much larger setup. Our first coop a small eight by eight run with a 6 by 6 roost area for them to lay and sleep the night away. we had 15 birds in here and it just seemed very very cramped so we gave a few of the birds away and are now looking to expand. I was thinking of fencing off a 16 x 16 area for the next one. How many birds do you think can hold. Also does anyone hav any ideas for us, keep in mind we are VERY new to this. I would love to hear from everyone so that we might build the best coop that we can for our lovely little birds.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  3. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I did look at most of the larger coops but they all seem to be out of my price range. I was thinking of something a bit more simple. I know they need privacy while laying and that they need plenty of room to move but other then that im not totaly sure.

4. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    When I got into chickens I was told a good rule of thumb was 4 square feet of indoor space per bird and 10 square feet of outside.

5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    You can always make the coop. I have made mine,even tho they are destroyed by now cause i needed an even bigger coop. OOOORRRR just build the run and build like a roof for one part of it and put walls on two sides. You can even use a tarp on the part you want covered. We dont get snow like other people do. The most we really get is rain so i dont think you really need something fancy. They just need boxes to lay there eggs in. You can even use litter boxes for those. Just put shavings in them and you are good. Here is a pic of my run, so you could do something like this and just add the boxes into it.
    [​IMG]

6. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    You can always make the coop. I have made mine,even tho they are destroyed by now cause i needed an even bigger coop. OOOORRRR just build the run and build like a roof for one part of it and put walls on two sides. You can even use a tarp on the part you want covered. We dont get snow like other people do. The most we really get is rain so i dont think you really need something fancy. They just need boxes to lay there eggs in. You can even use litter boxes for those. Just put shavings in them and you are good. Here is a pic of my run, so you could do something like this and just add the boxes into it.

Thats a whole lot more like what I was thinking. I just assumed that the weather here would allow me to not have to build such an elaborate coop. But being as i am so new to this i wanted to make sure. My plan is to fence off a 16 x 24 area. Then i will build the coop using a 16 x 8 area and leave the other 16 x 16 square for the run. My brother in law lives in menifee btw were only a few miles north of it in fallbrook. Thanks for the tips.​

7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Thats a whole lot more like what I was thinking. I just assumed that the weather here would allow me to not have to build such an elaborate coop. But being as i am so new to this i wanted to make sure. My plan is to fence off a 16 x 24 area. Then i will build the coop using a 16 x 8 area and leave the other 16 x 16 square for the run. My brother in law lives in menifee btw were only a few miles north of it in fallbrook. Thanks for the tips.

I'm in San Diego east county. I used dog kennel panels to make a secure area for them to sleep. Works great I put tarps up for privacy and to reflect the heat but the next one I built i am going to make two walls solid and a real roof if I can manage it. That way I only have to put up tarps on the other sides when its windy and rainy. I lined the kennel panels with chicken wire to keep raccoons from reaching in and grabbing someone. I calculated it out and a twelve by six run is enough room for eighteen birds. Some of the kennel panels I have are twelve feet long. The chain link is great too because a two by three board fits snugly through the links so you can put up perches Just put em higher than the nest boxes.

8. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    the basic coop provides shelter from wind, rain and predators. Basic fence fixes the predator issue if it has at top and is secure at the bottom from diggers.

The rest can be a tarp attached to the fence and nothing more. If you let the chickens out they will gladly live in a bush or small tree at night. They really dont care about what the coop looks like.

9. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Great. Thanks for all the helpful advice. I was seeing all these super nice coops' and just figured that was the norm. But my pocket book wont allow for much more than chain link, ply wood and some cement. Im relieved to hear that simple is okay. Were gonna start building here in a week or so so ill be posting pictures.

10. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Me love pictures..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by