New coop in progress!! Updated Pic pg. 2

KellyHM

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Lakeland, FL
Ok, so it's more like a run at this stage, but it will have a coop too! DH got this dog kennel frame from a friend for $50, so we took the chain link off (which I'm going to sell on Craigslist - hopefully for $50
wink.png
) and I bought wire to put on it today at Lowe's. All the wire cost me $78. Here's a pic of the frame and door, and the dog house that's going to be a make-shift coop until we build one. I'll update it as we go along!

ETA: The size is 7.5x13' and 6' tall.

15626_101_1403.jpg

Last edited:
curious why you aren't keeping chain link fence? I keep our two silkies in a dog pen... is that a bad idea?

DSCN2943.jpg

edit to add this picture...

DSCN2952.jpg

The pen is inside the goat pasture which is patrolled by three Great Pyrenees... my female, Keeper, LOVES the chickens

Oh, and that blue thing is there b/c someone gave us that dog pin, and it had a hole in it from where their dog got out.

Last edited:
The main reason we're not keeping the chain link is b/c it was stretched out from the previous resident (dog) and DH had to take it off to move it anyways, so I figured I might as well make it nice. If it had been in good shape I would have kept it. My other pen is chain link and I just have chicken wire around the bottom so rats, weasels, etc can't get in and get the babies.

ETA: How big is yours? I like your little coop too...very creative!

Last edited:
Oh ok!

Thanks!
big_smile.png
Not sure how big it is... something around 5X5X4, I'll have to measure it.

Oops! I added the same picture...
lol.png
let me fix that!

Last edited:
Quote:
OMG- love the barrel cut in half as shelter! I use zip ties and those wire shelf cubes too! I have a temporary run in my garage constructed out of that stuff.

We used the same size run for our chickens (7 1/2' x 13') and it works great. We got it off craigslist for $100 - not as good a deal as your bargain, but still a good price.

Well, all the wire is on and there's a temporary top made from chicken wire. Eventually I'll get a solid top, but that will work for now and the chickens are enjoying their first night in their new home! It got dark before we got completely finished, so I'll finish the details tomorrow and take some pics.

The wonderful thing about knocking together a coop & run is the possibilities are endless...'tweak' it here...'tweak' it there, and tah dah... a 'perfectly-fitted-for-your-needs' bird residence! I really enjoy seeing & reading all the ideas that people use when it comes to our chickens! Keep those brains oiled & running!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom