New coop in the making

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by otrdriver5005, Dec 31, 2013.

1. otrdriver5005

otrdriver5005 New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    Just finished my coop and oop enclosure today. Little bit at a time .[​IMG][/IMG]

2. otrdriver5005

otrdriver5005 New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Your setup is very nice!

Here are two suggestions- they come from experience! They are graphic.

1. I would cover the top with netting to protect from owls and hawks. Think snow load when hanging the netting (I use heavy knotted netting 2"). Your enclosure is not predator proof- keep this in mind. Only 1/2 inch hardware cloth is predator proof (rats and weasels can get through chain link and kill chickens). Also raccoons can climb chainlink and chew through netting. So you will need to close your chickens up at night.

2. I would line the bottom part of the vertical fence line with either chicken wire or hardware cloth to prevent raccoons, owls, and hawks from pulling your chickens through the chainlink. It has happened to me twice in a dog kennel enclosure, once with a hawk and once with an owl. Raccoons will work as a tag team to chase the chickens to one side while the other one grabs a chicken. Hawks and owls wait until they are sitting next to the fence and bite the head off (and pull the chicken partly through first).

To deter digging predators you can apron out some hardware cloth on top of the ground (as opposed to burying it) - do a search for hardware cloth apron coop if needed and you will see pics. You can allow a little bit of dirt to rest on top and the grass will grow up through it. Or some put rocks over it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. otrdriver5005

otrdriver5005 New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    Didn't think of that due to where we live and definitely don't have to worry about snow lol. I will fortify the coop with the recommendation s over the next few weeks. I want to make sure my chickens are safe . Thank you need the advice due to this being my first coop.

5. otrdriver5005

otrdriver5005 New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    Thank you there was a lot of good information in that thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by