new coop is coming along!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jessica_1285, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Jessica_1285

Jessica_1285 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Fredonia PA
    got 6 silkie chicks 3 weeks ago. My husband wanted to build them something of thier own. I found a photo online of a coop style that i like. we aren't using plans so we are just trying to put it together so that is looks similar. The dimensions of the whole structure is 5'by 9'by 5'high, the coop is 5' by 3' by 3' high. I hope its big enough!

It took us 3 hours to figure out how to put the frame together lol!
    [​IMG]

I decided to go with cherry stain...not sure if I love it yet though. We might change this side and add a cute little window!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We still need to add the doors, wire, and roof
    [​IMG]

we will be working on it tonight, so I will post more pics of our progress!
    I hope my silkies will use a ramp lol, we have been reading that most silkies wont use ramps , I guess if they don't we will have to put them in the old coop and give this one to my other 3 chickens!

2. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    I like the color that stain is giving you.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    It is looking real nice.

4. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    very nice, that should be plenty of room for a couple of Silkies.

5. Jessica_1285

Apr 3, 2011
    Fredonia PA
    Thanks! I can't wait to get it done...I'm sooo impatient:)

6. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Quote:It looks great so far! I have a question, how are the two middle boards attached to the bottom and top boards? ARe they toenailed in or what? I love the look but I think my results would not look so nice as yours.

7. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    Good lookin coop !!! My silkies use a ramp .... dont forget to have air vents in the coop .... WHERES THE CHICK PICS ?!?!?!

8. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    That looks nice.

9. floyd242

floyd242 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Decatur, GA
    Quote:It looks great so far! I have a question, how are the two middle boards attached to the bottom and top boards? ARe they toenailed in or what? I love the look but I think my results would not look so nice as yours.

I was wondering the same thing....

10. Jessica_1285

Apr 3, 2011
    Fredonia PA

Okay I'm kinda dumb when it comes to putting things together lol, I'm not sure but I think my hubby said something about counter sinking the screws? all I did was tell him that I'd like to have everything flush so that it looked nice, which is why it look us so long to fugure out how to put the frame together lol. we had lots of trial and error:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by