New coop made from pallet wood for my DD's Silkies!

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
My daughter wanted a coop of her own for her Silkies and bantams for her birthday. This entire coop was built from pallet wood! The only thing we purchased was the hardware, screws (you could get by with using nails), chicken wire, and stain. This coop could be built in any dimensions you want. Big or small. I also think I am going to go back and paint it red and white. I'm still trying decide.
smile.png

My daughter helping to take apart the pallets.
DSC02470.jpg

Frame
DSC02472.jpg
DSC02517.jpg

Floor
DSC02527.jpg

All done siding it in!
DSC02529.jpg

Front w/ pop door
DSC02530.jpg

Back of coop with entrance door. The rope is attached to the pop door and is on a pulley system that my husband designed so my daughter could open the pop door without having to go inside the coop.
DSC02531.jpg

Finished coop!
DSC02695.jpg

I still need to get pics of the finished run and will add them as soon as I can!

Last edited:
I LOVE it! I was looking for coops made with old pallets - the feed store lets me have as many as I want, but I'm not very handy. Seeing your little girl helping gives me motivation!

May be a stupid question...My pallets were nailed using a nail gun and when I rip them apart they have a lot of long, skinny, looks like staples. When I try to hammer them out, they just fold up, they're kinda soft. Tried to hammer them down, they didn't lie flat. What tips and tricks can you give me for de-nailing the pallet boards?

Quote:
'

No question is ever a stupid question. All the pallets that we've every ripped apart have been stapled and nailed together with nail and staple guns. The best way to remove the nails is to get a cat claw tool and use a hammer with it. The soft, long, and skinny staples are a bit trickier but can still be removed! You need to gently tap the pointy side of the staple to where it lift the head of the staple up on the opposite side of the board then pull the staple out with some needle nose pliers. The tactic is tricky at first but after the first 5 or 6, you'll have it down pat.
wink.png

Quote:
She only has two. A rooster named Beaker (DH named him because he says he reminds him of the muppets
roll.png
) and a hen named Princess (DD named her!). Here's a pic of Princess and DD from this past summer.
smile.png

DSC02550.jpg

Quote:
Thanks a million! This little girl is my pride and joy, so to speak. I had 4 boys before I had her, so I'm loving having a little girly!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom