New Coop/Mini-Barn Build using primarily reclaimed materials

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CourtsCacklers, Mar 12, 2013.

1. CourtsCacklers

CourtsCacklers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    Hello All--

I am so excited to be beginning this journey with my family and also with all of you! I have wanted to have chickens for the last few years and only now is that part of my dream becoming a reality... I live not far from the banks of Lake Erie in Northwest Ohio-- however, I am a southern girl at heart! I have three little boys-- Gabriel (nearly 5), Benjamin (2 1/2), & Caleb (8 months)-- and an awesome husband that will be building my new coop/potting & gardening Mini-Barn made primarily out of reclaimed materials from my parents 100+ year old barn that they are planning on having torn down this summer. It's like all the energies are coming together for me-- as I have had a hard time emotionally letting go of the barn I grew up with, raising animals in, having club houses, museums, ect... but now I am going to have a part of it all to myself and for my family in my back yard! I started this thread to post some photos and document the build. Bear with me as it might be a tedious process-- there is still some wood to reclaim as some sheep need to be moved to another out-building, my husband works full-time and he is a huge part of this as he is the Carpenter, and well-- we are in Northwest Ohio so the weather can be crazy here!

The plans are drawn up and the Shed/Barn part of the structure is going to be 10 ft wide by 20 ft long. The open porch is going to run the entire 20 ft long but is going to be 6 ft. wide-- with a hanging porch swing!!!! 4ft x 10ft of it is going to be my custom chicken coop-- accessible from the inside! I am still in the process of designing my run-- though I have this pretty vision in my head! Our yard is fenced in so my chickens will free range often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome awesome!

3. CourtsCacklers

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    Get the baby chicks tomorrow! Can't wait! We are picking them up at Ridgeway Haterchy in the great Buckeye state of OHIO! We will be posting picture soon!

4. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I am in the Toledo OH area. What a beautiful family you have! You all are just going to LOVE this new adventure. And how lucky you are to be able to design a coop with built-in memories.

5. CourtsCacklers

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    Thank you! We are actually in Fremont, OH so not far from Toledo at all-- 1/2 hour to 40 minutes! This Ohio weather is NOT cooperating very well with the coop build-- we are slowly but surely moving along! Yesterday though-- with that freezing rain in the morning and cold rain off and on all day-- one couldn't expect to send their husband out to work on that after he had worked all day-- now today the wind is whipping like no other-- WHERE IS SPRING???? I do think I am going to LOVE this new adventure! My little guys and I got the brooder ready today (It is in the house) and I have the heat lamp hooked up and on-- monitoring it and determining what height to have it hang fixed for a while!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool build! Did you go to high school in Fremont?

7. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Good luck on your new adventure! I was born and raised near Columbus...(moved to Texas for a job last year).

I hope spring starts up for you soon...gotta love Ohio weather. [​IMG]

8. CourtsCacklers

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    Thanks! No-- actually went to Oak Harbor (10 miles north of Fremont).

9. CourtsCacklers

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    Thanks! Yes!!! I love the snow/rain/sleet for like the month of December and then I am ready for warmer! All of my family is in this area so there is no way that I am moving away, however, I dream of a longer growing season... Maybe atleast TN. in retirement? That's where I got married...

10. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Haha, yeah... I never thought I'd ever move to TX, but when you're offered a job for 4x what you were making previously, it is really hard to say 'no'. [​IMG] :) Tennessee sounds nice though...

Love the coop by the way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by