New coop moving ahead

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CindyG, Jul 28, 2010.

1. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

Slow going, but we're getting there. DH and I did floor, and framing, then my brother came for a visit and he's so good at this stuff (DH and I not so much) Anyway, he "fixed" a few things we didn't have quite right, also he cut and installed the rafters, then DH and I put the sheathing on. Who knew that OSB has a right way and a wrong way to go on the roof?? And, we got the wall wrap the wrong way around. Geez, this building stuff is not as easy as being able to swing a hammer, that's for sure. Anyway, this afternoon, DH and DB cobbled together some staging, not pretty but very sturdy to get started with the roof shingles, and then, saviours to the rescue!! My two dear nephews arrived in the knick of time, and did it in less than four hours! As we get older we get slower, creakier and more nervous being up high, but these two were like cats up there, it was fabulous. I had been trying for a week to find someone I could hire to come do it but all the places I called were saying, "well, we might be able to get there early in September" or just not interested at all so we had finally psyched ourselves up to get up there and get er done when the boys arrived. What a fun afternoon, and now, the windows and door can go in and the poor little birds in the basement will soon have a new home. I'm also going to have storage for feed and all the other stuff that seems to accumulate, like extra waterers and shipped egg containers in case, I might in the future have some eggs to ship. The birds in the pics nosing around live in the other coop, but are going to be so jealous of this new high rent district.
    img]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54373_dscn4102.jpg[/img][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Can you tell the "old guys" from the "young blood" in the pics? Oh, this growing older is really quite hard to do gracefully!! Anyway, thought you all might be interested, I know I sure love seeing other set ups and I know you'll understand my excitement. Will post later with the finished (as finished as it ever gets, anyway) product.

2. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Hey, looks like in the first picture, you had Wilson from Home Improvement come and help. [​IMG]

Glad you got lots of good help. The coop is looking nice. How big is it?

Can't wait to see the finished project! I'm hoping my hubby will be able to get back on my coop tomorrow.

Rachel

3. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] "Wilson from Home Improvement"....hahahahahaha! Sure does! [​IMG]

Your coop looks huge! I love all your trees. I can't wait to see the finished product. Keep us updated on your progress.

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yeah, I had a very old little lady tell me one day that "Getting old aint for sissies!" I couldn't agree more! I spent the day painting the 1x4 trim that is going around the windows and on the edges of my new coop. I did get the trim up with hardware cloth to cover the window screen on one window and about half done on the other window. I was bushed! Of course as soon as I get in the door, my 19 year old son asks the age old question "What's for supper?" [​IMG] Why do they do that?

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    looks like you are doing a fine job keep tose younger guys working they need a reason to be tired when they get older. wilson was the first thing I thought of when I saw 1st pic. to funny post updates:eek:

6. CindyG

Yeah, I guess that pic was a bit staged, cause Wilson is who I was thinking of when I took it. The coop is 8x24, I tried for 32' but just couldn't fit it in that spot without a lot of digging so "settled". DH keeps saying "this is huge" but I'm pretty sure I'll fill it up.

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] that's what I thought too!

That is one BIG coop. Looks expensive.
    Glad you were able to get some help for the roof. I paced the backyard the whole time DH was up there - didn't like it one single bit.

Keep the pics coming!

8. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

What are the dimensions of your coop? We are building a 12 x 24 with a 10 ft lean-to off the back for part of the run. Will you divide the interior for storage, separate coops, etc. Looking for ideas for ours.

Thanks!

9. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Quote:[​IMG] "Wilson from Home Improvement"....hahahahahaha! Sure does! [​IMG]

[​IMG] I thought that too!!! [​IMG]

Seriously though, that's an AWESOME coop! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  10. CindyG

Thanks all for the comments, yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. 8x24, 8'tall on one side, 5' on the other and the roof is 10 feet, so as to have that overhang. I plan to put the 16 birds that are in the temporary coop in my basement in one end, I guess I'll give them 10' or so, then, I have some adult Seramas as well as four chicks in the living room brooder to go in the middle section, likely in trios in cages. I have a dozen Lavender Orp eggs in the bator now, so we'll see how many chicks I get. I'm going to build a run all around this coop, so they will have some grassed area, and also some wooded area to play in. DH and I got the windows in today, and they aren't a bad fit at all, I was worried we'd have a lot of trouble there, but they went in nicely. Need my brother to help frame the door and he's away for the day, also, it's raining hard now, so guess work has stopped for today. I have my wicker chair and cushion out there, so will just go sit and plan. Already talking about building another shed, DH thinks it will be for his garden stuff, hah!! Will have to let the bank account recover from this one, I figure by the time I have the siding on, and the inside the way I want it, I will be a fair bit over $2000. We are sure going to enjoy the first eggs!! Hope I end up with some that will be in demand around here, would be nice to make back a bit of what's been going out. I love chickens, they are well worth it. So funny! Will post more pics soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by