1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Coop nearing completion - suggestions sought

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tom Kennedy, May 23, 2016.

1. Tom Kennedy

Tom Kennedy New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Greetings,

After several weeks work, the coop I am constructing for my wife is nearing completion. The facility will be home to six hens and is located in North San Diego County (never too hot, never too cold!)

I have designed and constructed an automatic coop door opener using the auto antenna method. I bought a cheap NEMA rated box on Amazon and a couple of CN101 timers to run the door and an internal light. I have the light so I can keep 14 hours of light on the girls in the winter so I can increase egg production. I will post details on the electrical setup later, but all the parts were well under $100 for the controls and such.

I have cup waterers located under the coop and they are fed from a bucket that has a float switch in it to keep it full. I will be adding a treadle feeder that will have an added PVC fill tube so we can be away for a few days without worry.

The coop features a pull out poop tray that is under the roosting bars and will be filled with Sweet PDZ. The Chicken run is 20 feet long, 3 feet high and 3 feet wide.

I used an old Neighborhood Watch sign for the door - it was left over when we set up the signs on our street and seemed to be a fitting item for a coop door.

More pics coming in another post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. valerie5425

valerie5425 Just Hatched Premium Member

May 14, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    My Coop
    I love the sign for the coop door! I'm also finishing my coop myself and dream of someday having a solar powered door.

3. Tom Kennedy

Tom Kennedy New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Here are some additional images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tom Kennedy

Tom Kennedy New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by