New Coop, Need advice on ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cicknmama, Mar 17, 2015.

1. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    My family shed/coop project is almost finished. I have been pouring over BYC posts and pictures to ploitoit then inside. Just not sure how much ventilation I need. My shed/coop is 8x8 and I have 15 chickens. I live in Montana and we have summer temps ranging from 95 to 110 degrees. Oir winters can be downright chilly with wind chills in the -45. My coop door is facing the west and we get our big winter storms mostly from the North. So here is my idea. I plan on putting a screen door in half of the west facing door and a window on the opposite back wall for summer breeze. Would a roof moving roof vent be too much or would that also help with pulling moisture out in the winter. Also thought of adding a window on the south facing side for more light. So I think im set for summer ventilation, but do i need more for winter. Windows will be closed and covered with plastic and door will remain closed. So all that is left for winter venting is in the roof. I am leary about putting any openings in the siding on the North wall for fear of creating draft on the cold side. Any thoughts?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You need more ventilation! I would add a big south facing hardware cloth window, forget screening, use hardware cloth everywhere on openings. For winter, you will need more ventilation than you are planning to have. Use plastic on the west opening, and then evaluate. You can put vents in the ends of the walls at the roof peaks too. You can partially cover openings with plastic in winter, but closing things up too much will not be helpful. Mary

3. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Thanks for your input. To clarify? No screen door on the west side? And no window on the south side only hardcloth? That is the wall I plan to use for my poop deck and roosting bars. And should it be above the hens? I can also install windows that open...is that the same thing?

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I meant that the door should have hardware cloth rather than standard screening, for predator protection. If you have bears, cougars, or wolves, add electric fencing. I would take advantage of the southern exposure for winter sun if possible, if you can have roosts elsewhere. My coop has a south facing window, with roosts at the same level, so in winter that window is covered in plastic. Set things up as best that you can; compromises will have to be made here and there. Just don't have too little ventilation. Mary

5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It can be a delicate balance between enough moving air for good ventilation and having too strong a draft on the roosting area.
    I would have lots of windows(all covered with 1/2" hardware cloth) that are hinged from the top and able to open in varying degrees.
    You definitely need good ventilation as high over roost level as possible for winter venting.

Sometimes you won't know what to close and what to leave open until you get in there on a windy day, so lots of options are good especially with your heat levels.
    Chicken are much more susceptible to health issues from heat than from cold.

7. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    I did read that article thanks. I think my issue is with my hubby...lol. he doesn't want to cut into the walls. I'm trying to get him to read that articlet too!

8. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Yes, I was planning to hardcloth the screen. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

9. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    I like the idea of hinged windows. Where did you locate yours? And by the way, I have a sick chick. If you have a minute, please read my latest post in emergency section. Thanks

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by