1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New coop, new chickens, NO eggs now!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AimeeJohn47, Aug 24, 2014.

1. AimeeJohn47

AimeeJohn47 Just Hatched

Jan 12, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Hi all,

I just recently moved my flock of six bantams into a new and much larger coop and run. A few days later, we introduced 2 new chickens to the flock. Since then, we have gotten very few eggs. I'm fairly certain the stress of the new coop and the new chickens is the cause, however I'd love to hear if anyone has any good suggestions on how to get these ladies back to laying!

My original 6 bantams were such loyal layers, each laying daily even in negative degree weather in the dead of winter! But now, in beautiful August weather, we are getting nothing (maybe 1 egg here and there). All my chickens receive a great quality layer feed, scratch as a treat, and veggie scraps. All also get free range time daily. The chickens have all adjusted well with one another too (finally!)

From what I read, this can take weeks/months to work itself out. I don't want to wait that long for yummy eggs :(

Any suggestions????

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hopefully, it will be more like a couple of weeks than months!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you free range, they could have decided to lay out in the range area somewhere, locking them in the coop for a few days, all day or at least until mid afternoon, can help reset the habit of laying in the coop nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by