New coop.. new chicks.. two old hens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheJerzyHen, Apr 3, 2018.

1. TheJerzyHen

TheJerzyHen Chirping

Mar 23, 2014
    Hi there :) I have two old hens.. almost 5. I got twelve new chicks at TSC that are 4 weeks old. We built a new coop, larger. We divided with a temp wall made from chicken wire and plan to add the new ones in there first then on the other side the older ladies. Do y’all think this is an acceptable way to integrate or no? Very cold here yet so my chicks are still inside in two big brooder bins but growing fast. All suggestions are appreciated! Thx Dawn

2. Angeline1978

Angeline1978 Songster

May 22, 2016
    Indiana
    As long as they can not get to each other. I would suggest adding a roof over chicks as hens will fly over a short wall whether to get in or think they going to roost.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How cold?
    Adding your location to your profile would be of immense help.

I put mine out in the coop with a heater at one week after hatch,
    then integrate at 4 weeks, easiest integrations ever.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

4. TheJerzyHen

TheJerzyHen Chirping

Mar 23, 2014
    I’m in NJ... nights still in 30s... days 50 ish... chicks 4 weeks old this week.. coop divided in half..

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    at four weeks, I would not worry about warm, just dry. If they are dry, they should be warm enough.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, Duh, missed the Jerzy reference.
    Depends on how you've heated them, they do need some acclimation to cooler temps.
    I'd open the windows in the brooder room, and reduce the heat source, for a few days before taking them outside. Taking them outside during the day can help too.
    Have also used a huddle box to help the transition outside:

Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.

Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.

Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.

Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.

This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

7. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I agree with slowly lowering the heat for a bit to let them adjust. And as far as introducing the new with the old that is the only way in best way I have found to do it. And I actually had to keep the wire up a little bit longer than I thought but Rhode Island Reds aren’t always the most welcoming of chickens. Once my leg horns were old enough to start laying I could have them together and not worry about injury. They get along just fine but the Reds know who’s in charge

8. TheJerzyHen

TheJerzyHen Chirping

Mar 23, 2014
    B574D10A-2719-4BFE-8BD5-E45179419413.jpeg 2896B9B6-0A4B-441D-942F-F497BD7DB2C3.jpeg I shut their heat lamps off last Saturday... I could crack the window in the spare room where they are.. here’s a photo for reference... never did the chick thing before lol

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How warm is it in that room?
    Can you shut the house heat off in there?
    I would put them out in the coop during the day, crack the window at night.
    Do that for a couple few days then put them in the coop full time.
    I see mixed ages there, some look older than 4 weeks and some maybe younger?

10. TheJerzyHen

TheJerzyHen Chirping

Mar 23, 2014
    I got the Amber Links and Black Sex Links March 11...the blacks were already well on their way tho they told me they were a week old... the ISA Browns I got March 22 and was told they were alittle over one week...I can try to shut the heat down in that room, and open window. The Black ones are totally ready to go... the others need a week or so yet I think? Will they still be ok if I put the black ones out first? Like a week apart? Thx so much for the help... nervous mama here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: