New coop, new pullets... parasite prevention

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DvanderSlik, May 16, 2011.

1. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Hello out there! I am the proud owner of three Brahma hens today! We have a nice little coop in our backyard, and i'm worried about mites. One of my hens is constantly pecking under her wings. I've read a lot about DE and sevin dust and am a little confused by the whole thing. Do I bath them, just dust their run and house or put it in their food? Should I dust the area around their coop as well? They must have brought the mites with them.

They're about 8 weeks old, and are on Purina Start n' Grow Medicated food. Should the medicated food take care of mites?

Any suggestions would really help me out! Like I said, I'm brand new to chickens and BYC (so I hope I'm doing this post right [​IMG]

Thanks guys.

2. Sharksandguitars

Sharksandguitars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Watson, LA
    Hey I think it was this website that I got the info from, but I bought this stuff made up of diatoms... Umm... grade chemical D or something. It is suppose to keep the birds pest free. I put a little in my brooder box mixed with pine shavings. So far so good. My 3 bantams are happy campers!

3. GreenEggers

GreenEggers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    You can get food grade DE. Make sure it's food grade not the stuff for pools. Do a search here for DE or Diatomaceous earth and you'll get lots of info. I sprinkle it all over my coop, under shavings and in nest boxes. Some people place a dusting box for the birds to dust themselves. Mine would not use a box so I just sprinkle it all over.

4. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Is DE safe for them to eat and inhale? In the dust bath box, do you put like 3 or 4 inches of it in a shoe box type setup? THANK YOU!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by