New Coop! No more card board box!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by egzactly, May 21, 2010.

1. egzactly

egzactly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    My poor babies no longer have to live in a card board box. My wonderful DH has built me a new coop. Neither of us have ever built anything, but we built, and unbuilt this coop so many times that it was probably the equivalent of building 3 or 4 coops. It took us every bit of 6 weeks; most nights and every weekend. As you can see from the pics, we're not quite done, but our goal was to make the coop secure and habitable, so the chicks could move in. We still have to install the windows and egg door, nesting boxes, roosts, plus other finishing touches. I want to thank everyone on this web site. This web site is great! All the pictures and helpful hints have been invaluable. I especially liked the helpful hint of securing the hardware cloth with screws and washers. I have some closeup shots of that around the upper door. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cow_girl

cow_girl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Ontario
    looks great... love the open concept!! [​IMG]

3. egzactly

Apr 26, 2010
    Our plan is to leave it open in the summer, since it's so hot here in Texas. For the winter months, we plan on adding the 4th wall and the roof. The idea is to make them modular, so they can be added or removed as needed. At this point, it's still an idea in my head. We'll see how it works out in the actual execution. Anyone else tried this concept?

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    It looks terrific ( and a lot simpler than my new building).

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Great coop! Love the modular design. I'm in North Texas, too, and I think it will work beautifully. I do something similar, myself.

6. Maine-ly

Maine-ly Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    I love this design! It's functional, simple, modular and it looks GREAT!

This has given me ideas for my next coop. Please send a update when you place your girls inside.

7. herechicky

herechicky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Not quite finished with my first coop and I'm planning a second for some bantams that I ordered. I love this design. I think I'm going to so something similar!

8. egzactly

Apr 26, 2010
    Here's some updated pics of the girls in the coop. My goal was to get pictures of them acting naturally, but as soon as they saw me they came running to greet me. In the first pic, that's Barnie (barnevelder) flying and running down the ramp. What can I say about Barnie? She's a character that's for sure. When free-ranging she somehow always get separated from the flock. Her reaction to finding herself alone is to peep as loudly as possible until one of her sisters takes pity and leads her back to the group. In the bottom pic the rest of the girls from left to right (front) are Ginger (red sex link), Barnie, Petunia (welsummer), and Dottie (wyandotte). Pansy and Wynnie are partially viewable in the back row. I plan on getting more finishing touches done this weekend, so hopefully I'll have some updated pics on Sunday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I love it!!!! like the flowing air and the nest area to get away from a breeze....and the idea to cover it during summer ...awesome. Im in Texas also and boy we had a good freeze!!!!

10. Bacongirl27

Bacongirl27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    That is an awesome coop! Especially with the hot weather they will have plenty of opportunity for a cool breeze! congrats and good job! Our coop was the first thing that my husband and I ever built to, but ours is not nearly as nice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by