New coop or new garage...which would you do if you had to choose one

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flowerchild59, Jul 9, 2010.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    We are in the process of building a new coop that is (I hate to say it) big enough for a two car garage. It has a peaked metal roof and half of it will be house/coop and half will be covered run. As it is being built I realized I could've had the garage that I always wanted but never could justify the cost to build one, but somehow I rationalized the cost to build a huge coop large enough for 50 birds. (I plan to supply my children, grandkids and friends with eggs and maybe sell a few to others). I told my DH that cost is not too much of an issue because I wanted it to be nice and look like the other barns on our farm so for once things will be pretty and uniform.
    What would you do??? Am I crazy to do this for my birds but not our vehicles that are sitting out in the weather day in and day out?
    Help me with my rationales please.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Your birds will feed you and your family. Cars are made of metal and can be replaced. How's that for rationalizations? Easy for me to say though, I have 6 coops and no garage...

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] There is NO choice for a chicken lover- your coop sounds fantastic.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:x2-you came to the wrong forum to ask that question-coop of course! [​IMG] Garage, who needs a garage?

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:x2-you came to the wrong forum to ask that question-coop of course! [​IMG] Garage, who needs a garage?

Well, it might be nice for feed storage! LOL

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009

Well, it might be nice for feed storage! LOL

I LIKE the way you think!

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

A vehicle can handle being out in the rain, snow, & sleet. Best to cover your birds. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That IS a tough decision. Garage, big coop & run. Big coop & run, garage. Okay, big coop and run it is.

9. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    I say garage, especially if you have a 28 year old daily driver like I have. Currently I have a car port. The "Bockers" already have a coop and an 850 sq ft run area.

10. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    That's a tough decision. I'd pick the coop, only because we don't have a garage either. my wife would pick the garage, because she doesn't quitle like having to get into a sauna of a car in the summer, or to have to shovel a path to the car, then around it, then clean off the car in the winter. Wait? I do that for her, what's she complaining about? COOP, COOP,COOP!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by