new coop - painting the floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickiebaby, Apr 7, 2008.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    what to use o our new floor to:
    a) prevent rotting out the plywood
    b) make it easiest to clean and low maintenance
    c) still be totally non toxic because we are raising organic eggs

Ideas, all? Thanks!

love from Western Massachussetts

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

We used three coats of Zinszer (sp?) 123 Bulls Eye Primer (from Lowe's) and then we bought the cheapest peel n stick vinyl tiles we could find.

The Zinszer is weather and water proof, and the vinyl tiles are easy to spray off. I'd show you, but they're under about 4 inches of straw. [​IMG]

Em

3. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Prime and use a good outdoor House Paint.
    It will have bedding on it so I would not think you would have to worry about to much contact.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I would recommend using linoleum over the wood. It's very easy to clean, it keeps any moisture off the wood and is non toxic.

5. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:I was considering the tiles myself. Do you have any problem with stuff getting stuck between the tiles?

6. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    I have vinyl and love it. Nothing sticks. I got a good price on a remnant at Lowe's and glued it down.

7. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I was considering the tiles myself. Do you have any problem with stuff getting stuck between the tiles?

Not really. I just sprayed it out this morning, and I didn't notice anything. We've had them down about three weeks now, it's a new coop. We just made sure they were laid tight.

We were wanting, ideally, to use a remnant from Lowe's, but they didn't have any available, so we went to the discount store and bought (7) 12 packs of tile for $5.89 each. Cost about $40.

Em​

8. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I used a couple of coats of a good oil paint. Coop is almost a year old and holding up very well....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by