new coop (photos) ~ so proud

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by earthy_chicks, May 8, 2007.

1. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    After a busy month of building it's done! yay! I can finally take my huge stack of building books back to the library. So I wanted to share. Thanks to this great message board for all the help too:)
    [​IMG]
    the coop under the apple tree

[​IMG]
    side shot

[​IMG]
    back clean-out door to henhouse

[​IMG]
    2 nest boxes- can't wait for the eggs!!!

[​IMG]
    6 ft. of roosts and droppings board

2. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Wow! Your coop looks fantastic! Your chicks will be quite happy with their new digs, I'm sure!

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Beautiful!!!! I bet you're real proud of your work. Do you have your chickens or chicks yet? How many do you or will you have?

4. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    That coop is beautiful! I love the glass (is that plexiglass?) ceiling. I was thinking about doing something like that, but I wondered if it would make it really hot for my girls on hotter days. You've inspired me.

Did you have plans to go off for this? Building a coop is my first construction project and I'm feeling clueless. I've got a book on playhouses to get an idea of the bones of the structure, as well as the materials list, hoping to adapt one. Yours came out so well. How many will be living there? Do you have a rooster? How old are your chickens?

Sorry, just curious. I've got 6 week old chicks so far, and am getting 2-4 more next week. I'm addicted! Now for the housing... thanks for sharing yours.

5. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    It's absolutely wonderful! Well done! [​IMG]

6. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    That is fantastic! You should submit all your details for the coop page!

7. earthy_chicks

Apr 19, 2007
    Thanks everyone!
    I have six chickies that are quickly becoming pullets. 3 standard- RIR, SLW & Delaware and then 3 banties- GL Cochin, Buff Brahma, White Silkie. They have been enjoying the coop for 3 days now. I have a few pics up under this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5415

The
    total run area is 8' x 5' (plus 3' x 5' under the henhouse) so I think I'm good for six girls.

The main book I read was Chicken Coops: 45 Building Plans for Housing Your Flock The coop that inspired me most was the Starclucks Coop. But while it had many ideas it didn't really have the actual building instructions. I also looked at the coops in the BYC section. So then I went to the library and got a load of building project books (like the ones they sell at Home Depot but free) because frankly I didn't even know how to frame a simple wall before this. It can be confusing when you are getting ideas because truly there are so many *cute* coops out there but in the end I wanted something that resembled more of a garden structure, like a pergola with attached henhouse.

The roof is clear corrugated PVC panels. I live in the Pacific Northwest so I wanted as much light while keeping 7 months of drizzle off the girls. The windows are glass I picked up from the rebuilding center in Portland. All in all, I think I spent around $500 in materials but it's a totally solid permanent structure.

8. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Wow, that's fantastic!! I am such a geek: I have spent all my free time with a graph paper pad sketching henhouse designs lately!![​IMG]

How's it been to change the food and water under the dropping board there? I am trying to use a small floor plan (5 hens about) but it's darned hard to fit in the required roost space, nest boxes and food/water. I want to make it as easy as possible for my 10-year-old, whol'll be the primary caretaker. That looks like a good set-up, but I'm interested in how it actually works... will you let us know? Also is the dropping board high enough for "adult" sized feeder/waterers?

Thanks so much for sharing you awesome project!

Stacey

9. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Looks really great! [​IMG]

10. earthy_chicks

Apr 19, 2007
    How's it been to change the food and water under the dropping board there? I am trying to use a small floor plan (5 hens about) but it's darned hard to fit in the required roost space, nest boxes and food/water.

Hi! I know what you mean! I spent so much time just staring at the space trying to figure out how to fit it all in and so chickens wouldn't get pooped on. the small chick feeders I put there while they are getting used to the place. The 5 gallon feeder and waterer are out in the run under the henhouse section. But, I haven't had any trouble changing them since I can basically reach my whole body and arms in through the clean-out door. That is why I didn't make the henhouse any bigger than 3' x 5'. The droppings board is 20" from the floor. Hope that helps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by