New Coop ***Pic Heavy***

kbarrett

Songster
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
PA
I spent several months scrounging wood from dumpsters and local businesses. The windows were bought at an auction ($13 for 5 of them) same with the plywood, $64 for 35 sheets, paint $3/gal and a huge box maybe 25lbs of finishing nails for $2. We have to buy some new stuff but most was rescued from the burn or bought cheaply at local auctions. The dimensions are 6'x8'.

coop045.jpg

My friend with the hat, happens to be a woodworker and happens to OWE ME BIG TIME
wink.png
. I don't think he expected the favors called in on a chicken coop! He gave alot of technical advice and explanations to us nonbuilders why what were planning to do here & there wasn't going to work.

coop047.jpg

The walls going up.

coop048.jpg

DH & I were proud we framed the windows ourselves !
coop051.jpg

The roof getting started (expert doing the work
smile.png
)

coop056.jpg

The door is framed.....we made one out of the thickest sheet of plywood.

coop059.jpg

I really wanted lots of light, I loved other pics posted of using the clear panels as skylights but got blank stares when I brought it up? So We went with having it on the top of the south wall. It really lights up the coop, the only thing I would have changed is painting the studs that are visible. But I am very happy with the light it lets in.

coop072.jpg

The painting crew...

coop075.jpg

DH putting on the shingles which along were the black paper were free. Neither of us ever laid shingles before, we've had some good t-storms & no leaks
fl.gif

coop077.jpg

My son testing the pop door opening.
coop081.jpg

The run consists of 4 pallet walls of which I have free supply from a business down the road. They come from Germany so the sizes are a little off as they make walls withing sea containers with them. We broke quite a few apart to use as studs in the coop. These we left whole to use as the walls of the run. We utilized our exisiting fence as the rear wall. We're going to attempt a large shed out of them as they just get burned if not used by someone!
This is the girls out in their new run for the first time, I still have to make a little ramp but they jump in and out with no effort. The garbage can is for storing their feed.

coop092.jpg

Chicken soup, chicken fingers, fried chicken, chicken 'n dumplings, chicken gumbo.......I think Raven was planning the weeks' menu. He's been good so far (supervised) but I don't think we'll be free ranging anywhere around him
wink.png

coop114.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice coop and run! I love that you wanted to have the extra light in the coop. I don't think you can have too much light! Love it!

Thanks for the kind comments! There's a few finishing touches to be done.....the ramp, a small piece for under the human door and a permanent roost. I haven't started on nest boxes yet....I have a few months to decide to put them inside with outside access or have the nest boxes on the outside....although I really liked some ideas others have with the milk crates, plastic storage drawers
barnie.gif

I think I'll sit back and enjoy them for a few weeks before making yet another decision
gig.gif

great job on the coop and it is from salvaged/auction material. I am jealous of the run you made as it is a think of beauty and looks lit it is nice and strong.

Back
Top Bottom