1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New coop pics and question on floor bracing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by garthmyers, Mar 16, 2011.

1. garthmyers

garthmyers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    I am construction my coop a 7x17 all in one with a 4x7 raised coop. How has everyone braced the floors on their coops. I have 4x4 for the corner post and bought some joist brace but they will not allow me to brace on the outer edge of the 4x4 post. Any insight on how you have done this would be appreciated. I have also included pictures of the process so far.

-Garth-
    [​IMG]

the foreman helping build the walls

[​IMG]

finally standing

[​IMG]

All walls attached now just to figure out how to brace the coop floor.

2. garthmyers

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    I was thinking about just using 4x4 for the bracing with some long screws. thoughts?

3. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I am not a carpenter but I helped build our coop, I would just run PT 2X4 on 16 centers, double up the 2X4 where your plywood are going to meet. But it looks really nice.
    I just read your second post, 4X4 will work well also, we used 4X4 for the skids on our coop. That was we can hook a tractor up and move it if we want but we wont.

I also had two four legged foreman helping build our coop hence the name 2DogsCoop,

Logan thought it was nap time.
    [​IMG]

Cooper laying down on the job.
    [​IMG]

Wow you should have seen them when we started to paint the coop, their color changed from chocolate to yellow.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your 4x4 post can attach inside the corners via 2 lag bolts. You only need nailer for plywood along two sides, it's not structural just holds up the edges of floor so the 4x4 is not in your way being inside corner. Or you can have your 4x4 under the corners, pick up the deck 4x4 to joist metal clip at your local Home Depot or Lowes. It's a metal cap with a U flange to nail to both 4x4 and joist.

I think that's what you are asking; How to attach 4x4 to coop?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  5. garthmyers

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    I am thinking that lag bolts and 4x4 might be my best choice and then just use joist hangers for the 2x4 cross braces.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yeah, lags are easy just pre-drill. I'd not even bother with joist hangers. Two screws through the base into end of joist will hold perfectly. 2 screws each end and it wont move. Honestly, a screw is 700 lbs shear strength, two so it does'nt twist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by