1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New coop pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RonC, Mar 26, 2012.

1. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here's some pics from day one and two of the coop construction at the chicken ranch.It's a slightly modified Purina coop. Planning on adding some ventilation around the top of the sides with fold down panels on the front and sides as it gets hot here in the summer. Only going to be six girls in there so should be big enough as they won't be locked in but only a couple of days a year. Going to put on the sides tomorrow, they are already primed and waiting. Think I'm going to close to budget since I calculated what it would cost and then doubled it. I will add more pics as work progresses.

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice! Twice the estimate is what I ended up with. [​IMG]

3. RonC

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    [​IMG]Here are some pics now that it's closer to completion. The girls have been in it for about a week now.Added vents near the roof to the plans for more ventillation that can be closed in the winter. Thinking of adding some soffit vents lower on the sides near the floor for ventilation when the door is shut. Door has tiny padlock to keep it secure from critters and new ramp is installed. There is 12 feet of roost in there made from 2x3 turned wide side up.The roof need to be finished and a coat of paint with some color and it will be done.The tarp being oversized may stay to provide a little more shade in the summer.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. nikka77

nikka77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    I love this. I showed my husband the ventilation and the place where you boards are even. Just wondering where are your nest boxes located?

5. RonC

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Added the nest boxes to the front above the chick door but don't like them there. Keep bumping my head opening the door. I also hinged them so they are easy to clean out. Just added hinges to the bottom of the boxes and mounting board and screen door hooks inside to hold it closed.Probably going to move them to the side or back and lower them for easier access for me and the chickens.Thought I was almost done but think I'm going to tinker with it till I get it how I want.

[​IMG]

6. Tunderwood

Tunderwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Canada (B.C.)
    My Coop
    Nicely done, I like the vents. I wish I had primed and painted my wood prior to assembly.

7. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    [​IMG]My Craigslist coop...less than a year old. I took out two shelves of nesting boxes and left the top 2x4 as a roost, middle shelf will have a poop tray, water and food hang from the bottom shelf under the four remaining nesting boxes. I put in the linoleum on the floor and poop shelf. There are 2 doors and 2 pop doors one goes out to the "open" room I call the patio where I added two more roosts. I plan to put in two vents up top and will reinforce the chicken wire. I also put hardware cloth over the screens in the windows. This summer we will be painting the barn red and so the coop will also be painted. A new step will be added and I would also like to add crushed rock around the perimeter. I currently have five cochin bantams that I hatched out last fall in addition to a buff orpington and a year old silkie. They free range and now know where their new home is. Finishing touch will include a hanging planter in front and window boxes.[​IMG].

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  8. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    I really like that design! Looks unique! Well done. [​IMG]

9. mystdogs

mystdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Ocala, FL
    Beautiful job. Do you have any problems with the heat lamps?

10. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    I just got this coop last month. Typically, I have never used heat for my chickies before. This coop actually had six heat lamps...I removed two sockets below the poop shelf. There's also two light sockets on the ceiling....a bit much for a 8 x 7 foot coop. I'll keep the two heat lights behind the roost and possibly use them on those 30 below zero nights.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by