1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Coop Pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jashdon, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    We built our second coop this last weekend. The chicks in the garage are ready to go outside and our first coop is at maximum capacity. I was able to get most of the lumber free by religiously looking on Craigs List for scrap lumber. Its 8' X 16' and we put the studs on 24" centers in stead of 16". The roof is corrugated tin and the windows are corrugated polycarbonate. It is a simple structure but I think our girls will be happy in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Your coop is looking great, I really like it.

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Wow it does look great!! I can't wait to see the finished product!!![​IMG]

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I like it!

Jean

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

did you use railroad ties under your coop..that's a great idea rather then using cement blocks. I think we will try this idea. Were starting ours soon.

6. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    very nice...keep us updated!!!

7. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Yes, they are railroad ties. They worked great for the foundation. I think they were a bit easier to level vs. independant blocks.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Oh that's good lookin', if you don't mind my sayin'. I'm jealous!

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

It is a VERY nice coop! I hope ours will look this nice! How many chickens are you housing in it?

10. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Well, if we stick with the 3ft per chicken rule it would house about 40 chickens. However, once we finish fencing our property we will probably let them free range, so I might put a few more than that in. I think if I go higher than 40 I will need to cover part of the run so that they can be outside in the winter without getting soaked. We get A LOT of rain here and I don't want them to get cabin fever in the coop and start pecking at each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by