New Coop Project - More Pics post 8

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blsimpson, Nov 14, 2009.

1. blsimpson

blsimpson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2009
    Gilroy, Ca.
    I was recently gifted the money to finally build the coop that i want by my parents!!

I borrowed this design, and made a few of my own modifications.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32956

Im
    going to shrink it some, making it 8'x4', and gunna put the nesting box on the outside, instead of inside..

Went and bought all the supplies today. so excited!!

[​IMG]

What its replacing: (Im going to turn this one into what Im calling the "integration coop". Going to use it as I introduce new birds into our small flock..)
    [​IMG]

And of course, cant forget the helpers.. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Nice gift!! Generous parents!! [​IMG] Have fun building!

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Can't wait to see. Post pics!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Let the fun begin!!!

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Welcome to BYC, home of the friendliest most helpful people you will meet anywhere. Nice place and good idea to have bump-out nest boxes in a small coop. Makes it roomier for the chooks and you will have less fighting that way and a little cooler. Do not neglect ventilation and do not neglect protection against predators. A dog that stays outside all night is a good start. I went with a 6' tall pen, steel 2x4 welded wire set in cement. It has a fence charger with 4 courses of hot wire. We have lots of preds hereabouts. We lock them into their coop at dusk daily and so far, no losses. [​IMG]

6. blsimpson

Oct 30, 2009
    Gilroy, Ca.
    Well, its been hard finding time this past week, with it getting dark so early, but have made a lot of progress on it..

Day (night) One:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day Two. Forgot the camera till a little later.. Got the rest of the studs up for the walls, the roof on, and half of the roost box built.. Made a lot of progress..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still have a lot to do.. But its getting there, and i am super excited!

7. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Great pics and it looks like it's coming along very well! I too am trying to finish my coop to get chooks out of a rabbit hutch type thing lol. I miss the longer days as well. It would be convenient to have at the moment.

8. blsimpson

Oct 30, 2009
    Gilroy, Ca.
    Got some more pics in the light today. Only really had time to build the door today, to much going on. Saturday I plan to make a lot of headway, as long as my wife will let me work.. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And of course, cant forget the birds. :) Onyx (on top), and Sienna..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. rirluvr

rirluvr Gallus Domesticus

so beautiful just brings tears to my eyes.. so many chicken people here. I am in a glass case of emotions right now. that is a beautiful coop by the way. I made mine out of scraps of wood. I will have to post it up later on.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  10. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Looks great!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by