1. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I am building my second coop! Soo excited! Lol that only took 5 months. I plan on using it for injuries and for younger pullets. Its a big box used to deliver juice to warehouses. Its 45"x45".
    It will be divided in half on the inside, removable of course. My question is should I cut out 2 separate doors for each potential side or cut one double wide one in the center divided by the wood/wire divider that will separate the inside.
    The coop actually looks halfway decent so i'm trying to keep it looking nice. Any suggestions are welcome!

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I would add doors so you can open and have some screened in for air flow and also think about cleaning. My latest coop has doors on opposite sides so I can push the stuff out from one side and out the other - makes cleaning a snap. I wish my roof lifted off. My hubby built it but I already know for the next one what I want and how I want it since I am the cleaner of the coops.
    Caroline

3. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    One wall is going to swing out. The roof is on hinges and can be propped up for ventilation with screen and my dad found some plexiglass for me to slide in there to add light. I'm thinking I'm just going to do the one chicken door thats wide...I'm bad at decision making. lol

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Remember with one chicken door that when u open it they BOTH come out. Depends on what u'll be using it for.

5. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The coop I just built is about the same dimensions as yours (~48"x40"). I built two doors (one on each side). So far it has proven to be extremely useful for accessing any part of the coop! (Although I may consider adding a a head-bumper pad to the door frame (I have hit that thing too many times with the back of my head, haha [​IMG]).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by