New coop ready to go

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Self loading baggage, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Self loading baggage

Self loading baggage New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Just a note to say Thank you to all who have posted. I have learned more in the past two weeks about building a chicken coop. I finally have finished the coop. 5x8 home for six 1 month old chicks (actually converted part of the shed). I just need to build the nesting boxes and a door with a ramp to the outside run. I have been putting them outside in the shed/coop during the day, while it's warm, but the Colorado mountain air is still a bit cool, so they come back to the garage.

Just a warning to those who might be inclined to build and "test" out the coop....I was just checking the new digs out, and I closed the gate/door...only to realize that I had locked myself in the chicken coop! Just as the wife was driving off to the grocery store! Yes, I had too much pride to call her and tell her to stop and open the gate as she was driving down the driveway! I could see the latch and almost touch it. I had a few things in my pocket, that didn't reach or work, but lucky for me the pencil used for marking the lumber was able to unlatch the gate!
    I have now put a piece of string on the latch and into the coop for quick escape!
    So, before you try out the new door and latch...make sure you have a way out or a good book.

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Been there done that.[​IMG] I am lucky enough that I am small enough to exit through the pop door.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Pop door or did you look like you came out the poop door [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by