New coop/run. (PICS ADDED) I need some help on the finishing touches.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by azfordby4, Jul 3, 2010.

1. azfordby4

azfordby4 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    I am building a 16'x8' coop/run for my chickens. Right now I have 2 Bantam Cochins and 1 Leghorn. The chickens have not yet met (Quarantine time). My plan was to cut the coop/ run in half (2- 8'x8'). I will put a door in between the coop/run so that when they get to know one another through the chicken wire. Eventually I will open the door so they can share the whole 8X16 area. I am to the roost and nesting box stage now.
    How High can I put nesting boxes? The ceiling of the coop is just over 5'.
    Also I want to put a ladder to the roost. Has anyone used that wire shelving to make a ladder?
    I am open to any suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I can't answer all your questions but I can say that you need to make sure your roost is higher than the nest box or they will roost on the nest box. My roosts are built on a step frame so they just jump up to where they want to be. Hope that helps and oh by the way
    [​IMG]

3. TK421

TK421 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Central TX
    Put your nesting boxes at a height easily checked by you. When I built mine, I made sure my daughter could reach in and remove any egg-size objects (hopefully eggs!).

Your roost should be at least 18" from the ceiling, higher than your nestboxexs without being directly above them.

Good luck!

4. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Thanks for the advice. Still curious about the wire shelf as a ladder though. I will try to post pics tomorrow.

5. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    The goal is 1- 8'x16' coop split in the middle to make 2- 8'x8' coops.
    Here is a picture from the front. There will be a door there tommorow.
    [​IMG]

Here is the inside so far. I am going to make both areas mirror images of each other. I am having trouble with the roost situation. Any Ideas are welcomed.
    [​IMG]
    The white you see is insulation foam to help with the heat off the walls.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I would lower your nestboxes. I put in some fancy boxes that were only 2 ft high. My chickens layed in the bedding under them. I haven't had any chickens lay in any kind of box that was off the floor.

Looks good and airy for your location. You may still want to consider giving them frozen water bottle to lay against during those horribly hot days in late July and August.

GO SUNDEVILS!!! er, GO SUNCHICKENS!!

7. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    These are 3' high. I was going to build a platform in front of the nest box with a ramp leading up to it. Our other coop is set up that way and she seems to like it. But I will look in to your idea. I also have a box fan I can plug in on really hot days. I am looking in to solar fans for the roof also.

8. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Okay. I moved the nesting box to a few inches off the floor. I installed a roost on the opposite side of the nesting box. It is 2 levels. Level one is about 18" off the ground and level 2 is about 36" off the ground. I need to chicken wire the main door and do a really good clean up. The chicks could move in tomorrow or Friday. I will post final pics tomorrow.

9. kgarbs

kgarbs Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Missouri
    I would cover the insulation because i had the mistake of leaving it where the chickens could get to it and they ate half of it over night! So i replaced it which isn't cheap and put a piece of plywood over it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    For sure cover up that insulation with something solid. It can be really thin plywood. If you paint it, or at least seal the wood, it will be easier to clean and will deter mites.

Chicken wire isn't the best choice when it comes to protecting against predators. When you can, consider upgrading to hardware wire.

Does the inner door have a latch? I am big on locking the chickens in at night, but with the chicken wire it's probably not worth worrying about. But I'd still try to put a hasp on the door to keep it shut. BTW - your inner door looks nice --

What covers your roof? I see bamboo? I'm sure that's great for shade and release of the heat, but is there wire beneath it for protection? I imagine a predator can move pretty quickly between houses when traveling along those cinderblock walls and that wicker isn't going to keep them out...

hope this helps -

PS - ASU grad here. Go Devils!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by