1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New coop + run pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fisho, Mar 27, 2015.

1. fisho

fisho New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Hi all,

Thought I'd post a few pics of my new coop and run. Hopefully I can get some feed back on what others have done similar and did or didn't work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I know i had a mind blank while making the nesting boxes and stuffed them up but thought I'd see how they went before fixing/replacing them

2. twfernandez

twfernandez Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2015
    Virginia
    My Coop
    The coop looks great! :) I like the open-air between the siding and the roof, it's functional and looks good! :)

3. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    That'll never handle the snow load!

Yeah.... ;) .....I know....I saw the freaking palm trees.....I'm jealous! Where are you?

Nice coop.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The nest boxes are mounted backwards. They are made to add a cover (roof) to make them dark and private.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    On e concern is the wire on the floor under the roosts. Walking on wire all of the time is hard on their feet. And if your hope is that the poop will neatly fall through the wire to a catch tray below I'm afraid you are going to be very disappointed. Chicken poop isn't like sparrow poop - neat little elongated blops. It can be runny and sticky sometimes, and as they get older some of those poops look more like the size and shape of gray eggs. It's going to accumulate on that wire and be almost impossible to remove without a power washer. The other concern is ventilation. I'm just not sure you have enough, especially in your climate. Chickens suffer much more from heat than from cold, and with your coop being constructed of what looks like metal, heat and ammonia buildup is going to be a real issue. Can you put in an operating window or two, and maybe a hardware cloth covered vent at the bottom? The open area between the walls and roof is a great start for ventilation...it just needs more. And I'd cover that open rafter area with hardware cloth to keep wild birds and other unwanted visitors out.

It's hard to look at something that someone has poured their time and money into and be critical, but in this case that wire floor and lack of ventilation just jumped out at me. I'd rather you were aware of the potential problems with it before you are faced with the reality than afterwards, but I don't like sounding harsh, either. I do love the size of the run.

6. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    It looks like there's LOTS of ventilation, both top and bottom, all the way around......

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You are right...I had to enlarge the photos a bit to see the ventilation under the floor. That said, if the floor is closed off rather than having the wire, then that ventilation doesn't do too much good. I dunno -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by