New coop & run project started

Cutandfit

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 10, 2014
Champaign County, IL
Finally I've started work on this project to have up & running by spring. I've priced different options and concluded that since having knee replacement surgery earlier this year, I'm just not quite ready to take on a full blown build so I found a 10x 10' shed on Craigslist, and will be converting it to a walk-in coop, with storage space for supplies. Shed will be delivered this week, (weather permitting) and I can start working on a floor plan.

The site is where our vegetable garden used to be, we moved it because it had become too shady. Old coop is visible in the back. I will be getting a load of road pack gravel and laying and compacting a pad for the shed will start Monday.

Yes, very good deal. It's actually larger than I wanted, I was thinking of building an 8x8' coop. The cost of the materials to build that, (assuming I used all new materials) was more than than the price of this shed plus delivery. This is an older shed with new siding and roof. The person I bought the shed from owns a landscaping / excavating company and made me a reasonable package deal to bring it out, lay the gravel pad and also set it up. I'll be dollars and lots of time ahead. Obviously I'll need to make some windows and such, and get some laminate flooring put down and partition off the insides a bit. Still working on a floor plan. - Open to suggestions!

Last edited:
I have been trying to find a deal on a shed on craigslist but no luck. I would have no way to move them and everyone getting rid of a shed here says buyer responsible for moving shed. So it would cost more than building a new one. I actually just started on my new coop today. It's going to be a 10x14. Got the ground leveled today and the floor joists and plywood tacked down. I have a general idea of the layout I want but have been going back and forth in my head about it.

Same here. Number of birds is still a point of contention. Wife wants 6, I could go with more, but I'm sure we'll start small. My last flock years ago was 51, I don't think it will get that big though. I will build in anticipation of more rather than less.

Back
Top Bottom