New coop/run, what do you think before it's built ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MamaChic21, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Replace the chain-link fencing with hardware cloth. Add a ton of ventilation.
    That will be nice. What are the dimensions?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would never build a coop that I couldn't stand up in. Roosts should be about 3' high and they need lateral room to get off safely. Vents need to be high in the coop and will create a draft on them if the vent is too close to the birds. I prefer a slant all to one side as the eaves give great ventilation.

Chicken wire will only keep chickens in, it will not keep any predators out. That's why people use hardware cloth, well secured, as with screws and good size washers. Or a solid roof, of course.

You might get away with a standard 8'x8' shed if you have a solid roof on the run so they will go out when it's snowing. I would build much larger for that many birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    What are the dimensions...cant tell from the pic?

5. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Well I was thinking of making the attached coop at least 6ft high and the run about 12-14 ft with wood flooring so during the rain or snow, the run won't be muddy. In addition to that, next to the run, build another run where the floor would be open, so they could have some grass and as for the roof, all fenced so they could have sun and that run would be 12-14 ft too.
    So basicly, they'll have 2 runs like 24-28 ft and the attached coop will be 6tf tall and approx. 6x8 with 1 door for us to clean and 1 window next to the door and another on the side for ventilation and one door for them from coop to run. All in wheels would be so great so that we can move them according to the season, that way they'll get their fresh grass too.

http://www.atalarahsap.com/kopek-kulubesi.aspx It's the 5th coop/run from the left. Some how, I can't paste the picture directly to this site.
    What do you all think ?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    [​IMG]

I see what you are saying with the 2 runs. It mirrors my plans to have a similar coop.
    You can also add a 3rd run on the other side if you have the room.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by