New Coop Siding - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lcoil79, Jun 19, 2010.

1. lcoil79

lcoil79 New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    OK, so we're building a new coop (pictures when I remember to take them) for our babies that will be arriving in just under 2 weeks. I figure they'll have to be inside in a brooder for a few weeks so we've still got time. The whole thing is basically framed out, just waiting for some rain free days to put it out on the platform. My dilemma is that I have realized a few weeks late, that we bought exposure grade CDX instead of exterior grade. We plan on painting this with exterior grade paint, but now I'm worried that it will start to warp after a couple of storms and start deteriorating. Has anyone gone ahead and used this for exterior anyway and have luck with painting it with exterior paint to protect it? I've seen a couple suggestions elsewhere to use a paintable caulk on any exposed edges of the plywood to help seal away the glue layers from the elements.

My other option is to go buy some white vinyl siding and side the whole thing that way, then paint the siding the color we want. I don't really want to go this route as that would involve having to purchase the siding and trimmings and I can't really just buy exterior grade plywood cause I have no way of getting it home and I don't really want to make another big purchase. If possible I'd like to just use what we've got, but I don't want to compromise our babies's future home.

This is a 4'x5' coop that is sitting ~2' off the ground, so it's not like it's a ground contact application. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    My coop is a shed that was on our property, it is made of untreated boards and treated plywood. It's 30 years old and has a little deterioration but it is still secure and safe after 30 years. Im in no way a wood or building expert but I think you can use what you've got! Be sure there are enough support beams to help it hold its shape, but that is true regardless of what kind of plywood you use.

Caulking the edges actually sounds like a good idea, you might as well. It takes wood a loooong time to wear down it won't just start composting itself or anything. [​IMG]

Update us w/ pics!

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I would just go ahead and use it anyway and just like you said seal the seams with a paintable caulk. After it is caulked and painted with a good oil based exterior paint, it should last for quite some time.

4. barred buck

barred buck New Egg

Jun 9, 2010
    i would sugest using osb plywood and unless you've already puchased the cdx then either tyvek or tar paper the out side then put up
    vinel or steel siding. Cdx will swell, twist, and grow in the industry we call it potatoe chiping. osb will just swell thicker but keep its original 4X8 size either way if you just paint it, it wont hold up long.....

5. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Quote:My neighbor built a 6X9 shed and used OSB. He sealed it with a coat of "BIN" primer made by Zinnser, then 2 coats of an exterior grade paint. After it dried for 4 days, he sprayed a coat of Thompsons water sealer on it so all the water would just run off.The seams were caulked anywhere water could penetrate. That was almost 6 years ago and all it needs now is another coat of exterior paint. He spent more on paint and water treatment then he would have if he used plywood or T-111 but the 1/2" OSB was free, so thats why he used it.

You can do exterior stain as well but it wont look finished like paint does. The trick is to seal it really well. Once water "gets under it" it's not long before it starts to delaminate.

Tyvek is a great product but if your using it to protect OSB, its pointless. Every staple you put in it, is a point of entry for water.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Some key consideration for long term endurance of the coop wood is"

The wood is not in contact with the dirt/moisture, Flashing or bricks, etc. to keep it up off the ground.

The Roof overhangs all four sides so rain doesn't run down the wall, (look up drip edges)

Seal all seams/cracks and use a good quality paint.

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Me & My Peeps :

Quote:My neighbor built a 6X9 shed and used OSB. He sealed it with a coat of "BIN" primer made by Zinnser, then 2 coats of an exterior grade paint. After it dried for 4 days, he sprayed a coat of Thompsons water sealer on it so all the water would just run off.The seams were caulked anywhere water could penetrate. That was almost 6 years ago and all it needs now is another coat of exterior paint. He spent more on paint and water treatment then he would have if he used plywood or T-111 but the 1/2" OSB was free, so thats why he used it.

You can do exterior stain as well but it wont look finished like paint does. The trick is to seal it really well. Once water "gets under it" it's not long before it starts to delaminate.

Tyvek is a great product but if your using it to protect OSB, its pointless. Every staple you put in it, is a point of entry for water.

Notice that lcoil79 bought exposure grade CDX, Not OSB. CDX is plywood not oriental strand board(chipboard) There is a big difference.​

8. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA

Notice that lcoil79 bought exposure grade CDX, Not OSB. CDX is plywood not oriental strand board(chipboard) There is a big difference.

Ahhhh......Good Catch Shultz! I did not notice that......You are correct in your statements [​IMG] While there is a difference in materiels...........given a tight budget - one CAN make OSB last until the funds catch up with the project. Also depending on the application, you can also get "Struct Gold" which is a builders grade OSB, that is designed to withstand several rainstorms with no integrity loss. Encapsulate it with paint early on, and you ahve a lower cost alternative to T-111 or 3/4" Plywood.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  9. lcoil79

lcoil79 New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    Yeah, already purchased the CDX. I'm gonna try sealing it with caulk on all the edges, paint it with exterior grade paint , ane coat it with a water sealant. I'm starting work on cutting the sheathing today after work as long as it's not raining when I get off work. Should hopefully start posting pics tonight if I remember.

10. Hugerat

Hugerat Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    really do not understand why you would water seal over good quality exterior paint. Probably spend less just buying the right siding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by