New coop? siding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by scooby, Oct 3, 2011.

1. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    we just built a nice new 10x8 walk in coop,slant roof 6.5 ft at the front and 5 in the back, right now it is all standard wafer, and i was just going to paint it. but my husband really wants to put siding on his "CREATION". problem is we have spent to much money already and we still have a couple more buildings to make before winter for some other critters to so question is, what is going to be the cheapest siding we can use ? i need ideas. Does anyone have a big coop with no siding just painted? how did it hold up to winter weather (snow/rain)? can anybody give me any suggestion as far as what to incorporate into the rest of the coop? through me some ideas i want to finish this up......thanks

2. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I haven't put my siding on yet but I received input from a few people who put up OSB with furring strips as trim to make it look like siding. The pics looked great and it's WAY cheaper than siding so this is what I'll be doing. The important thing is to make sure it is REALLY well sealed so moisture doesn't get in there. I was told to do primer and then two or three coats of paint. If you need paint or primer check out the mis-tint section. I got a gorgeous 5 gallon bucket of premium exterior paint for $25 at Lowes, marked off from $166.

There is a pic of the OSB w/ furring strips on post #10 of the thread I started about siding. Here's the link to that thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=570936

3. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    I'll have to check into that furring strips, and triple paint.. looked at the pic and it look good and then you can get a two tone going i'll have to check home depot today about pricing. looking at paint, its almost as expensive as siding these days.... great deal on that 5 gallon bucket wish home depot would have deals like that but even mess ups are only like 10% off at our store.

4. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Tinted stain works much better than paint. It absorbs into the wood and since it is stain, it wont flake or peel off like paint. I built a sprinkler shed out of OSB three years ago, and the osb has not as much as swelled on the bottom. We do have gravel around the perimeter so the osb is not in 'direct' contact with the ground.

Stain it this year, and then in the future if you have the funds, side it. Best of both worlds. And if you can't ever side it, the osb is protected. I can take a pic of the sprinkler shed if you would like to see the results. It looks just like paint and you can tint it to any color just like paint, to match if need be.

5. swamy

swamy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Another option is to ty-vek it to keep the weather off and help cut down drafts. Use a good number of cap nails so it doesn't blow loose for a few months. In the meantime watch craigslist or save your money for some good siding.

6. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    wyododge i would love to see a pic of that shed, tinted stain never thought of that how does it look on wafer, that might even be a better look then paint cause dh likes the rustic look( so do i) and was thinking about adding some red cedar post to the corners to make it look more rustic, but thats still just a thought right now... but the stain might work well with that look, does it seal the wood to water? what about covering the manufacturing marks?.the coop floor is sitting on cement blocks so it doesnt contact the ground at all. Is this stuff the same as like porch and deck stain, i just saw some on the discount shelve that was the perfect color of my red fence post.
    I have to get it sealed cause winter has arrived it snowed today. here are some picts of it since these we have put on the remaining front piece and add the run door, side pieces and added the windows, insulation, wafer and plastic inside and linoleum floor. still have to frame the door and put in a ladder roost then it will be move in time. o ya and silicone all the edged.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  7. MrCluckers

MrCluckers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    I sided mine with vinyl. From the sounds of it, I have something very similar to yours. I think I spent about $400 on the siding and accesories. My coop is 10x16x8 (6.5 in the front)

[​IMG]

8. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    It's raing and blowing like heck out now. But yes, deck and porch stain is it. From a distance it looks just like paint. Up close you can see the wafers but it is not really noticeable. We used it for our porch also. That was four years ago. It is really good stuff. If it is on the discount shelf I would do that in a heart beat!!!

It's supposed to be nasty tomorrow but I will grab a pic if I can.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  9. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My coop is sided with OSB. Primer and two finish coats make it look good.

Ask around among your friends. Maybe someone has some leftover paint that you can get.

Look at the paint stores for mis-mixed paint. It comes in interesting colors. Usually it is available cheap, on the order of $5 a gallon. Ordinarily this is interior paint, but it should last until finances and time allow for better.

You could run strips of wood that are used for lattice vertically along the siding to make it look like board and batten. Just rip up some 2x4s to make the strips.

It is a chicken coop, creativity counts.

Chris

10. Annie's Backyard Flock

Annie's Backyard Flock Out Of The Brooder

I built my coop with plywood sides. I then Tyvek'ed the whole thing. I had vinyl siding left over from our house remodel so i used that. However, I have a Habitat For Humanity Restore close to me and they had odds and end siding for sale VERY cheap. If you have that kind of thing available in your area, you may want to check it out.

Also, Yahoo Groups has a group called "Freecycle.org" that I belong to. You can put a "Wanted' ad and someone may have left over material for you to have. "One man's junk is another man's treasure."

I found that until I sided my coop, it still leaked when it rained with wind. I live in SE Pennsylvania and we can get windy and cold. I would try to side it with something.

Good luck,

Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by