New Coop Start Today.....Am I Crazy Doing This Again?...Here Goes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fireguy56, Oct 5, 2011.

1. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi to all, For those of you that followed the progress of our first coop..here goes another one. Wife decided she wanted Bantams also( they are in the brooder). So I told her I would build "ONE MORE COOP AND RUN" and that was it. Desided to start today after spending 31/2 hours in Dr.s office for stress test, go figure. This is what I got done by myself in 21/2 hours of hustling. More to come. Will start framing Friday when I get off duty from FD. Should have roof on and closed in by Saturday. Will post pics as we go.
    [​IMG] This is the coops footprint in relation to other coop and run. It will be 6' x 10' with a 10' x 20' run. Will be a walk in coop with gable roof. 7' high side walls.

[​IMG] Since I did this by myself this afternoon, I shot together the framing...then got it level and square using the blocks of wood and stakes to keep it where I wanted it... then dug my post holes and set the posts in concrete.

[​IMG] This shot shows the footprint again from the front end where the people door will be.....to the left will be a gate going into the run. The run will duplicate the big run using treated lumber framework with chain link panels including chain link on top.(Gotta keep flying bad guys out)

Will post more pics on Friday when finished for the day. Erik

2. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Quote:Uh huh. Likely story. I think you just love building coops [​IMG]

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I find physical labor, especially a hammer... [​IMG] a great stress reliever! and what a good husband you are! I will be watching for updates!

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Great start! In that last shot, I thought you had snow, but then I saw you are in Louisiana! [​IMG]

5. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like you have an awesome setup in the background. Looking forward to further pictures. Hope your stress test went well. [​IMG]
    I would never ask my DH to build another coop [​IMG]

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    peepblessed, Thanks for positive comments. Don't know yet on stress test results, but still kicking at least. Wife didn't ask to build another coop, she just got Bantam babies and "SUGGESTED THAT ANOTHER COOP MIGHT BE IN ORDER" as women will do. So, here I go again. thanks Erik

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Erik,

if she plans to have chicks in either run make sure the bottom few feet has hardware cloth attached to the chain link. Will keep the little buggers inside the runs.

Love your first build, cant wait to watch the second go up.

Shellie

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Took me 3 months to get that far and didn't get it done even yet. I think I started it in January. lol

9. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Nice set up and kudos to you for building another coop for wifey. Wish my hubby would build one for me. I had my SNL build my first one and I want another one come spring next year. I think following coop building is my favorite. There are so many talented people here. Looking forward to seeing yours completed. [​IMG]
    Hope your stress test comes out good

10. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG]

"SUGGESTED THAT ANOTHER COOP MIGHT BE IN ORDER"

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by