New coop to house our new hens.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stripey22, May 16, 2010.

1. stripey22

stripey22 New Egg

May 16, 2010
    Started this coop about a month ago just after we brought home 10 Easter chicks. All of the design and set-up is stuff I got right here on BYC. THANK YOU THANK YOU.
    This website has provided us all of the info we have needed and more. Every time we need help or there is a "problem" we run straight to the computer and look it up here and there has always been an answer.

[​IMG]

The coop is 7' x 7' and the run is 7' x 14' and about 5'6" tall. There is still some work to do like gutters and power inside that doesn't include an extension cord strung from the house.

[​IMG]

2 Australorpes, 3 RIR's, 3 sexlinks that were called "Cinnamon Queens"? Not sure what they are. 2 Red Star sexlinks, again not sure what they really are?

They were all born around the last week of March and are doing great and growing like crazy.

Thanks again.

2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Wow you did a great job! It looks wonderful, Congrats!

3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    The sex links (Cinnamon Queens and Red Stars) are mixed breed chickens which are bread between two specific breeds of chickens that allow their sex to be determined by feather color. Dark feathers = females.. Light feathers = males.

Both are fonominal egg layers and will not only start laying EARLY, but their eggs will be very large.. I've got 2 barred rocks and a wyandotte and their eggs STILL aren't nearly as good in quality or size.. And they're a year+ old.

4. stripey22

stripey22 New Egg

May 16, 2010
    Thanks for that info! They have been a lot of fun to watch as they grow up.

5. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    Nice![​IMG]

6. my3jsons

my3jsons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    WOW! Looks great. I like that it's connected to the barn. Isn't this forum great. I've learned so much from everyone on this site. Have fun. [​IMG]

7. rockwoodfamilyflock

rockwoodfamilyflock Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Wow, this is most impressive! Just looking around since we're in the middle of building ours right now. Congrats!

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Beautiful! It turned out truly lovely. I'll bet both you and your birds love it. Wonderful job on it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by