New coop ventilation?

Jamity46

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2018
Howdy!

We started building our first coop, we are using a shed and making it into a coop. We will be adding 2 windows on the E and W sides of the shed. My question is how much ventilation do I need for an 8x8 coop? We live in IL so the winters can get very cold, as low as -20 (sometimes colder) with windchill. Do put vents in or just cut holes and cover with hardware cloth? Thanks!

You need about 10% of floor space as a general guide. It is advised to place ventilation high up above roost area. Want to avoid drafts that chickens would feel. (draft= wind that would ruffle chickens feathers)
If your shed has open eves, that is good. If the shed has 2 gable ends, it would be good to place a large vent in each. A small one on the bottom for take in air is also good. Secure all opening from predators. Hardware cloth, will work well. Chicken wire is not very secure/strong. Raccoons can get thru with little effort. Make windows openable and during summer, will help with hot temps. Secure with hardware cloth or welded wire when in open use.
Post a pix of the shed in progress for more ideas.
I have suggested many times before as to convert a garden shed to coop. Makes a much better option to provide good chicken housing VS prefab coops.
Prefab coops are OK for someone that wants to keep 2 chickens as pets BTW. Most say they will hold 10 when in reality will only handle 3 comfortably.
WISHING YOU BEST........ and :welcome

Thank you for the response, here are pics from when we were building it yesterday. We still need to add the windows, linoleum flooring and roosts. Hopefully ready for them to move in end of the week.

55D4F360-F494-4117-9997-46B9C1BCBAB6.jpeg 80A5BA56-DFCC-4182-B822-7310D2E928AE.jpeg D3B0E6B2-8409-4A62-BFC7-EB46208BCA4B.jpeg 9D8D02F3-E689-4DA3-B1F7-A3BEA7D1B6BB.jpeg

So we are going to be adding the windows, do you guys reverse them so they open and close from the outside with hardware cloth covering window from the inside? Or put in like normal with hardware cloth on outside? New to all of this, just wondering from all of you experienced people how you do it. What’s the best and easiest way!

Thank you!

Last edited:
I't looks as though your roof rafters are providing a gap above wall. This will work for eave ventilation but be sure to hardware cloth over those openings. Weasels will find a way in and that's a prime area, they can and do wipe out entire flocks in a night. Chickens are as blind as we are at night so must be protected when roosting.

Back to the ventilation- Each eave provides an inward flow of air so you need to provide an exit and that would be as far up on the gable ends you can. Cut a triangle and hardware cloth it over or use a gable vent and hardware cloth it over. You see? no real need for a purchased vent, just use trim to secure the hardware and make the vent look pretty. In providing inlet and outlet you create a working vacuum effect. Air will literally be sucked in eave openings, mix with moist ammonia filled coop air along roof line and be pushed out the gable vents. This would be proper ventilation. Windows are nice for bringing in natural light and added ventilation in heat of summer but you must keep in mind you need adequate venting all year long and low windows would be cause drafts on birds in cold weather.

Oh!! Too bad rafters are already on!
(ETA: you could still extend rafters)
I would have suggested large overhangs with open soffit covered with 1/2" HC.

coop-eaves-2-jpg.1353557

Thank you all for your help and ideas! We will be finishing it this weekend, hope I have enough hardware cloth, lol!! Thank goodness Menards is close!
:)

I would make large gable vents, covered with hardware cloth. A ridge vent the length of the roof. If the roof has large overhangs the vents will not allow in much/any rain or snow. Didn’t catch your location. For the windows, mine are open year round in the front as the the covered run keeps out water. The more ventilation the better.

Back
Top Bottom