New coop, what do I treat/paint the wood with?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ALLcoopedUP, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ALLcoopedUP

ALLcoopedUP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    I've just bought a flat pack untreated wooden coop and run. Please could you advise what to do vis-à-vis painting and treating the wood, what do I use and in what order. Do I use non-toxic paint? I don't want to poison them in any way! Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Pretty much any paint you can buy these days is nontoxic when dry. Pretty much all of them have fumes that you're better off not inhaling when they're wet.

So, really ANYthing will do, just make sure it is fully dry and well aired out (takes hours to weeks, depending on type of paint and coop ventilation and your climate/weather) before chickens go in, and you're good to go.

If you use stain or polyurethane you will have to reapply it sooner than you'd have had to repaint, BUT you can just wash and lightly sand the surface and do it, won't have to scrape up peely stuff as you have to do with paint.

If you use paint, it will last a bit longer between reapplications but involves more work (scraping). If you are going to paint, it is very important to prime well first, and then to apply thin rather than thick coats of paint.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I just used household paint in my coop. Prime first, preferably with oil based primer and then use exterior latex paint, even on the interior. It will withstand temperature changes and humidity better than interior paint. I just used waterproofing stain on the exterior because that's the look I wanted. It dried very quickly.

4. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    on the inside of my coop i painted the walls and ceiling with zinsser for bathrooms/kitchens scrubbable, mold/mildew resistent paint.

5. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    You can use boiled linseed oil. It is a great preservative and will let the natural wood show through. It is a penetrating oil that has been used for years. Watco oil is another great penetrating oil that is used on outdoor teak furniture. It is really easy to apply, and I am pretty sure it is nontoxic. You can find it at Home Depo or Lowes by the stains. I have used both of these products for years, and they work great on birdhouses too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by