New COOP...what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CityBredCountry, Nov 19, 2014.

1. CityBredCountry

CityBredCountry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Hi,

This is our first flock. We started out with what we called a mini-coop for the last few months. But I have just built them a much larger, coop for them and it was hard getting them in there last night. I have 30 chickens and enough space for 62.

From what I can see, I keep them in there for a couple of days, they have plenty of food and water. But wanted to check experience.

Do I keep them in there for so many days? Do I cover it up and make it dark?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi there! My coop has an attached, fenced in chicken run, so I do keep them locked up, but they can come out of the coop into their run.

Do you have an attached, fenced in area?

3. CityBredCountry

Sep 1, 2014
    Ours are free range chickens. No fenced in area

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might be good to lock them in for a couple days.

Close off all access to the old coop and let them out an hour or so before sunset to range, they won't go far in an hour and watch their behavior as to going back into the new coop.

Good Luck!

5. CityBredCountry

Sep 1, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Here is the new coop that I just finished. The old coop is next to it and I want to use it for newer chickens that we will be getting in spring.

They have been in there for 2 days now and I just let them out this morning for the first time. The old coop is closed off and I am hoping that they will come back inside a little later :) I'll entice them with some bread or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by