New Coop.. Wife Thinks I Am Crazy, But Loves It So...Pics Really Heavy

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fireguy56, Oct 10, 2011.

1. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Well, Pushed it to the limit today to try to get alot done. Got off duty at 7 am and got home shortly after to get set up for a serious days work. Here is what followed. Hope you guys and gals enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed doing the work and excited about my accomplishment today. Dear wife thinks I am insane for pushing it so hard, so I just kept telling her...hey baby it's for you and the little girls in the brooder, they need a new home to call their own. She fell for it......so then I resorted to the ......Oh, and by the way....can ya get me another beer! She did and kept them coming all afternoon. See what ya'll think.

[​IMG] So here is where I left off yesterday. Just got tools set up and dug right in.

[​IMG] Got gable closed in, installed vent and started framing little overhang to protect front door and windows.....My wife calls them " Side Lites".

[​IMG] Ok, so now the front overhang is ready for felt and shingles...front of coop ready for wrap and start trim and cedar siding.

[​IMG] Wife came out to check on progress and caught me loafing. Just banging in a few mis-guided nails and taking a break.

[​IMG] Had to stop and make a run for more materials...another few bucks worth in the truck. Adding up quick. Got 15 lb. felt, shingles, ridge cap, 2" x 4" s and some cedar for siding. This is insane...don't know how I got hooked on this "chicken thing".

[​IMG] Here are the wee ones that will be living in this coop. Silkies, Polish, Cochin Frizzles and a few other Bantams. Wife brought them out for some sunshine and fresh air and to keep an eye one me.

[​IMG] Side view of osb finished....vent openings at very top, two horizontal windows and nest box location where nail gun is sitting. Wife painting openings where vents will be..gonna use green hardware cloth.

[​IMG] Back view Gable done, vent in, window in...beter view of green painted area where vents will be. Will look cool once siding is on.

[​IMG] So I kept plugging along and got all the osb on roof finished and the rear wall. I did a little "eyebrow" over rear window to keep rain off of it. You'll see how that turns out when I'm done. Ready for wrap and felt tomorrow...hopefully start some trim and siding as well, maybe even shingles.

[​IMG] Inside view.

[​IMG] Another inside view showing vent openings up high, windows below and then openings in wall where 6 nest boxes will be.

So, Hope you've enjoyed the guided tour so far. More to come tomorrow...then back to Firehouse WED. Hoping to be real close to finishing before Saints game on Sunday. Then I will tackle the run area.

Erik

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Awesome! Can I borrow you when you get done with yours? j/k but dang I wish I could get mine to make one like that

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I love the design! Great job [​IMG]

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Looks wonderful!

ETA: You're the one with the playground, right? Your hens are living the high life!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. pdbantam

pdbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    South Mississippi
    [​IMG] AWESOME!! I know you are making points with the wife!! [​IMG] ... and the chicks! [​IMG]

6. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    [​IMG]

7. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    [​IMG]

you rock. Your really, really do [​IMG]

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Fantastic!!!!! [​IMG] Will this one have an amusement park as well? I'm subscribed to this thread and can't wait to see it all finished. By the looks of things it won't be too much longer the way your working.

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Will you marry me???? JK!!! I have to do all the handy stuff 'round here!

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    really good job. attention to detail. build it once right and you got it!!! [​IMG]

are you planning for a green coop? i had mine for green for about 2 years, just changed to red. green was nice tho, blended in nicely to the trees etc. I'll be following your thread to see your ending result!
    thanks for sharing!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by