new coop with a dirt floor? opinions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Firemenlovechicks, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Firemenlovechicks

Firemenlovechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Alright, So I have figured out that I can't use my old smokehouse as a chicken coop because it's very close to my well and could contaminate it under the right circumstances.

Sssooooooooo....... I am looking at building a nice new coop at the back of our lot. I will most certainly be using the deep litter method. Should I build up off of the ground or use the ground as my floor? I would be able to build a slightly larger enclosure if I didn't have to put a floor in it, (financially speaking) but I don't want to look back and regret it a year from now for some currently unknown reason...

I could stretch the budget a bit and make it a little more comfy with a dirt floor..... what do y'all think?

Thanks for the input!

Jeff

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    We built ours on the ground and rake it periodically and add fresh sand. The chickens seem to love it. ANd overall seems like less maintenance and less expense (shavings).

3. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    2by4 for them to roost on plywood under to cath the poop from that night and sand floor that's how i did it

[​IMG]

4. Firemenlovechicks

Firemenlovechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you guys have any moisture problems with the coop being directly on the ground? Our yard is flat and drains fairly well, but on very rare occaisions we have been known to get ALOT of rain that can keep the ground saturated for 2-3 days........

5. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    If you use a few inches of sand it will drain and be easy to keep clean and fresh.

6. paulpig

paulpig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    dirt floor here......in the run and roosting area. I use the wood pellets under a bunch of sawdust to control moisture. I also buried hardware cloth a foot deep and a foot bent into the coop and concreted. the chickens WILL dig inside the coop. And predators dig to get in..........I have lots of roosting ladders, ledges, and boxes for them to stay dry and off floor if they want.............good luck

7. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    The run in my coop has a dirt flooring. I've installed a roof to keep the moisture out. It works great during wet days. The flock can still have dust bath even on rainy days.

8. paulpig

paulpig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    i also use DE on the floor as well............

9. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Dirt floor and deep litter method here... has worked like a charm for 3 years. Just be sure to build on an area that has good drainage.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have more of a tractor style coop thing that has a dirt floor, litter goes in and when I need fresh, soft, rockless compost, I scrape down a few inches and dig it up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by