1. bigfish713

bigfish713 New Egg

Aug 10, 2015
    Do I need windows in my new coop. Going with an 8' x 10' will have 12 chickens to start with

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    As long as you have adequate ventilation, then it may not be important for the chickens, but won't you benefit from being able to see when you collect eggs, clean out the coop etc?

CT

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I would say you need light.... and lots of it...... for a host of reasons. Windows will offer "healthy" light.

Or you could use light bulbs like the commercial laying houses do.

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Yes. Chickens have wake & sleep cycles just like we do. They don't see well in the dark and sometimes are reluctant to go into a completely dark coop at dusk. The window/s will also provide much needed ventilation.

Windows will also provide light and ventilation for you're when cleaning, collecting eggs etc.

The windows in our coop are open pretty much all the time except when temps dip to single digits. They are awning-type that open out so it doesn't rain in.

With that said, if you live in an area with moderate temps., large openings covered with hardware cloth would work.

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    yes windows and the more the merrier on the southside especially if you are in a colder climate.

all of the above posts are excellent reasons why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by