1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jh2Owen, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Jh2Owen

Jh2Owen Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    We recently adopted 2 hens, 4 baby chicks and about 8 eggs which we're told should be hatching soon. The coop they came in was in pretty rough shape so my crafty husband is building a new one for them. This should be done later this afternoon.

Is there a good way to introduce them to the new coop? Or am I overthinking it... like my husband tells me I am. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I see this is your second thread started on the New Members Introductions. This thread may have been better posted under "Managing your flock" forum - but no matter.

Once the coop is complete, put the birds in the new coop (with food and water) and keep them in there for at leas 48 hours. This will allow them to associate the new coop with being "home". After that, they should return to the coop before dark, but you can put a flashlight in the coop to help them along.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC!

Are the eggs under a broody? If so I wouldn't move them until after they hatch, moving before can cause her to abandon them.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  4. Jh2Owen

Jh2Owen Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2017
    I'm not sure which hen's eggs they are (if that even matters) when we went to pick up the hens from the last owner - we found out we were getting baby chicks too! They were only 2 days old when we got them. Along with 8 eggs... Both the hens take between turns laying on the eggs and taking care of the chicks so I'm not sure which hen to leave.
    Maybe keep them all in the original coop till the eggs hatch? It's a pretty rough coop so we wanted to get them switched out.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe

I'd leave them until they hatch. It's just too risky to move them before. Interesting that they have chicks and are hatching more eggs...let us know how it goes!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings again and thanks for joining BYC! Looks like CTKen pointed you in the right direction. Good luck and best wishes! :celebrate

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi again [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by