1. cchic

cchic In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Looking at building a new bigger coop. Thinking about a open barn/shed type but wondering if having it smaller and close to the ground is keeping them warmer? Will having it all open be harder for them to keep warm? Also wondering if I should put concrete base or dirt. I have dirt now but have mice tunneling under. Any one have good pictures of the best features?

2. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    Where you are located will make a difference in an approach to a coop. Let us know where you are and there are lots of folks to help.

3. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life GrandmaOnDuty

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    If you live in an area with cold weather and your chickens are cold hardy they should be fine. We are located in michigan and rarely do I have to use plastic or straw bales on the outside of the run.
    I prefer dirt or sand for the floor.
    Best wishes! :frow

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    cchic likes this.
  4. cchic

cchic In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    I'm in Colorado.thanks

Farmer Connie likes this.
  5. cchic

cchic In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Thank you I'm voting for the dirt but husband wants concrete for blocking mice.

6. Foster's Freehold

Foster's Freehold Songster

Jun 7, 2013
    South Central KY
    If you put an apron of hardware cloth around the coop, that will help with rodents, digging predators. You can do deep litter on concrete, but if I were doing that, I'd put a thin layer of dirt on the concrete, then the bedding. Until the new coop is up, move stuff around and let the chickens scratch up the tunnels. They love mice.

You can have an open front, as long as that isn't the direction of the prevailing winds. Keeping chickens warm is a matter of stopping drafts and having adequate ventilation. Chickens body temp is about 104 with a warm layer of feathers to keep it in. The vulnerable parts are comb, wattle and feet. If the coop is dry, and there isn't a draft on them, they stay warm. If there is a direct draft or it is wet, then frostbite is more likely.

Check out the Wood's Coop design, that might be what you are looking for.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: