new coop

cchic

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Looking at building a new bigger coop. Thinking about a open barn/shed type but wondering if having it smaller and close to the ground is keeping them warmer? Will having it all open be harder for them to keep warm? Also wondering if I should put concrete base or dirt. I have dirt now but have mice tunneling under. Any one have good pictures of the best features?

If you live in an area with cold weather and your chickens are cold hardy they should be fine. We are located in michigan and rarely do I have to use plastic or straw bales on the outside of the run.
I prefer dirt or sand for the floor.
Best wishes! :frow

Last edited:
If you live in an area with cold weather and your chickens are cold hardy they should be fine. We are located in michigan and rarely do I have to use plastic or straw bales on the outside of the run.
I prefer dirt or sand for the floor. Concrete gets very cold.
Best wishes! :frow
Thank you I'm voting for the dirt but husband wants concrete for blocking mice.

If you put an apron of hardware cloth around the coop, that will help with rodents, digging predators. You can do deep litter on concrete, but if I were doing that, I'd put a thin layer of dirt on the concrete, then the bedding. Until the new coop is up, move stuff around and let the chickens scratch up the tunnels. They love mice.

You can have an open front, as long as that isn't the direction of the prevailing winds. Keeping chickens warm is a matter of stopping drafts and having adequate ventilation. Chickens body temp is about 104 with a warm layer of feathers to keep it in. The vulnerable parts are comb, wattle and feet. If the coop is dry, and there isn't a draft on them, they stay warm. If there is a direct draft or it is wet, then frostbite is more likely.

Check out the Wood's Coop design, that might be what you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom