Dr.GarryTTucker

Songster
5 Years
May 1, 2018
Southeast Texas
So we out grew our old coop.

77B0AAD4-E6E2-4A60-B06E-3F7317E950BC.jpeg
E67F7F38-917A-4AC0-9EEC-297E354E1F1D.jpeg

And now I built a new coop this week! This time I doubled the roost space. learned from previous mistakes, expierence, and new practices!

805E7A00-A6D6-46C9-891E-58C89D28BAE8.jpeg
E379A850-2EBB-4456-B49C-A03AC3C930DA.jpeg
28E136A9-7A6F-45BF-9BAC-B1454A99F752.jpeg

I still have some undetermined questions if it will all work out? if something seems too dangerous? Or if the chickens don’t like the layout? Nothing is permanent, so I can reorganize. And with open concept I can rearrange the roosts and add more if need be.

Tonight is their first night in the coop. All that’s left is to add more Nondraft-ventilation.

It’s a 4x8
I used pine. For studs I used 1x2s I wanted it light because I wanted to be able to move it. It’s on wheels. Ply wood and 2x4s on bottom. Weighted just enough to withstand 25mph winds. And if it’s going to be stronger, I have ground anchors made from the twisty dog leash anchors.

One thing I’m not sure if I’m gonna like is the clear roof panel. I made 2 of them clear. Like skylights. Nesting boxes a little over sized.

It will be painted white with our “Farm” logo haha:lau

I have a suggestion, I would change the orientation of your roost. Use the length of your coop to your advantage. I believe that chickens prefer to jump up and down directly onto the roost bars, yes some will use ladders. The way you currently have the roosting bar your really limiting the take off and landing area for your birds. If you change the orientation you will still have the same amount of roosting space, I think you could add 3 bars total if you change direction. This will give you 12' of roosting space. It will also remove the need for a ladder depending how low you start your first roost bar. Stagger them up and back about 12"-16" each time. Once done your birds will have a nice landing area. Again just an idea that I think would work really well. Here's a quick photo of what I am talking about.
Screenshot_2019-01-12-07-31-33.jpg

That was one thought I had. But with the 1x2s I have each on supported with piloted screws every 8in in attempt to stop any warping. The plan is to have about 8sqft of ventilation. Just needed to get it down before our downpour this morning at 4am

4' is narrow for roost access...that ladder won't cut it, cleated ramp would be better.
Nests could be low enough so they don't need a perch for access there.
All hindsite, hate to critique an already built coop.
Changing the roosts to the end as @RoosterML suggested would be the easiest 'fix'.

Back
Top Bottom