aikigypsy

Chirping
Dec 31, 2011
I got a lot of inspiration from these forums when I was designing my new coop, and I finally (after years of meaning to do it) got around to building it. It is sketchy and amateurish, but it is the first nearly building-sized thing I've built. I'll put the construction photos in this post, and a short video of the completed coop this morning in a comment to follow. I thought about video recording the whole process, but it was hard enough for me to get out there and get it done, without adding figuring out how to record it on top of all that.

Attachments

thriftyplants

Chirping
Mar 2, 2020
I got a lot of inspiration from these forums when I was designing my new coop, and I finally (after years of meaning to do it) got around to building it. It is sketchy and amateurish, but it is the first nearly building-sized thing I've built. I'll put the construction photos in this post, and a short video of the completed coop this morning in a comment to follow. I thought about video recording the whole process, but it was hard enough for me to get out there and get it done, without adding figuring out how to record it on top of all that.
Absolutely gorgeous!! LOVE the gypsy wagon vibe ❤

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
it is the first nearly building-sized thing I've built.
Pretty impressive tackling those slanted walls,
not sure they are the best for a coop,
but it sure is cool looking!

I am not quite sure how to best share the video, actually, so that may come along later.
Vids need to be uploaded to youtube, or similar platform, then linked here.

aikigypsy

Chirping
Dec 31, 2011
Pretty impressive tackling those slanted walls,
not sure they are the best for a coop,
but it sure is cool looking!

Vids need to be uploaded to youtube, or similar platform, then linked here.
The idea with the slanted walls was that they would give it a nice gypsy-caravan vibe/look. Also, our chickens day range, and mostly use the coop for overnight roosting. This gives them more roosting space, relative to floor space.

I need to get over the dread of putting things on youtube. My husband uses youtube a lot, so I know the process, I just have never done it myself.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
I need to get over the dread of putting things on youtube. My husband uses youtube a lot, so I know the process, I just have never done it myself.
Go for it, it's pretty easy and you have an experienced tutor there.

The idea with the slanted walls was that they would give it a nice gypsy-caravan vibe/look. Also, our chickens day range, and mostly use the coop for overnight roosting. This gives them more roosting space, relative to floor space.
It's that for sure and lovely, the curved roof is great!
Floor space can be pretty important too. Roosts are best about 12" away from wall, might help keep poops from dropping down on the slanted wall.

Ventilation is important too....I see your eaves are closed.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1603751382161.png

Top Bottom