New Coop

Flip-N-Flogging

Songster
10 Years
Sep 25, 2011
I know this has been discussed every which way…but wanted input on my particular situation.

I currently have 9 hens. They have a yard that is roughly 65’x55’. They are currently in a very large coop…but it’s really beginning to fall apart and will be getting demolished soon.

Before this brood arrived, my last flock got wiped out. I built a new coop for my old flock, but only had on average 6 hens at the time. I had a plan for a compact coop that I felt would work. It’s only just over 5’ by just under 4’, but pretty tall(roosts up high).

I feel it’s small for these nine hens, but wonder if that’s true with such a big yard? They are never even in the current coop.

I’ll have a lean to on the side with their feeders and whatnot, so that’ll be out of the coop itself and the nesting boxes hang on the outside, with access from the inside.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks

I feel it’s small for these nine hens, but wonder if that’s true with such a big yard? They are never even in the current coop.

This is from an article I'm writing:

But I free range/have a huge run and my chickens only use the coop to sleep and lay eggs! Why do I need all that space inside?
You might not. As I've said, these are guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules.​
If you never close the pop door so that your coop and run function together as a fully integrated system that is the equivalent of a huge, open-air coop, then your flock might be just fine for years, even decades.​
If you are always out there to open the pop door at the crack of dawn or you have an ultra-reliable automatic door so that your chickens never lack access to their free range territory during the daylight hours, then your flock might be just fine for years, even decades.​
If you live in a mild climate where chickens can always go out into their run/range and are never kept in by snow or storms, then your flock might be just fine for decades. People who keep chickens in places with tropical and subtropical climates do successfully go without a coop at all, just offering a covered roost and some nestboxes.​
But when something happens ...​
When a determined predator moves in and breaks through the fencing so that you have to confine the flock to the coop itself so that you can fix the run,​
When an extreme weather event prevents your chickens from leaving shelter for days,​
When an emergency calls you out of town and you can't find someone willing to be there at the crack of dawn to open the pop door,​
Then you could have a mess on your hands.​
Which brings us back to the issue of flexibility and options. Any time you push a system hard against it's limits you have to count on everything remaining stable -- exactly as it is without any changes. How well that's likely to work depends on your specific circumstances. You may never encounter an unfortunate circumstance -- some people DO hit the lottery, after all. :)

The current "something" that has happened is Avian Flu -- requiring birds to be kept under cover to prevent contact with wild birds and their droppings.

This is from an article I'm writing:

But I free range/have a huge run and my chickens only use the coop to sleep and lay eggs! Why do I need all that space inside?
You might not. As I've said, these are guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules.​
If you never close the pop door so that your coop and run function together as a fully integrated system that is the equivalent of a huge, open-air coop, then your flock might be just fine for years, even decades.​
If you are always out there to open the pop door at the crack of dawn or you have an ultra-reliable automatic door so that your chickens never lack access to their free range territory during the daylight hours, then your flock might be just fine for years, even decades.​
If you live in a mild climate where chickens can always go out into their run/range and are never kept in by snow or storms, then your flock might be just fine for decades. People who keep chickens in places with tropical and subtropical climates do successfully go without a coop at all, just offering a covered roost and some nestboxes.​
But when something happens ...​
When a determined predator moves in and breaks through the fencing so that you have to confine the flock to the coop itself so that you can fix the run,​
When an extreme weather event prevents your chickens from leaving shelter for days,​
When an emergency calls you out of town and you can't find someone willing to be there at the crack of dawn to open the pop door,​
Then you could have a mess on your hands.​
Which brings us back to the issue of flexibility and options. Any time you push a system hard against it's limits you have to count on everything remaining stable -- exactly as it is without any changes. How well that's likely to work depends on your specific circumstances. You may never encounter an unfortunate circumstance -- some people DO hit the lottery, after all. :)

The current "something" that has happened is Avian Flu -- requiring birds to be kept under cover to prevent contact with wild birds and their droppings.
I like that thinking. Because my little deco flocks going to probably be free ranged, but in michigan can be quiet cold and snowy, they might not want to stay out long all the time in the winter. I'll def take this into consideration myself now.

Back
Top Bottom